I've Got To Be NUTS!

Reaction score
Hi all! :)

I've dug a pond in my last 3 homes. My first was about 5x5 and 3 feet deep lined with a silo cover. My feeder goldfish grew to about 3 inches long over the years before they were released into the canal behind my house (yes, I already had waterfront property. lol) to make room for a pool.

My last pond was more of a "duo". The swimming side was about 10x20 and 3 feet deep at its lowest point. I chlorinated it the first year. It had a small waterfall my son lovingly referred to as "the toilet bowl". Yes it was pretty circular. I called it "the damn pond" because I hand dug it with a shovel and a wheelbarrow and at one point in the process I couldn't drive because my palms were too sore to hold the steering wheel. Once started I had to finish though. There was a smaller second pond to the side that had fish and plants. A path allowed me to walk between them.

I was in the process of making the 2 ponds one large pond when I moved due to a pending divorce. The x found great joy in filling in my labor of love...to say the least.

This past March I moved to a new home with the love of my life. I swore I'd never do it again but it is apparent I am addicted to the process. We are on 2 1/2 acres. There is a natural small pond buried in brush, fallen trees and beyond a mess. I started to clean it up but after a couple of weeks found it was overwhelming. Especially when the middle of the pond is my properties border. The neighbors and I have briefly discussed dredging it in the future.

Until then...here I go again!

Some (understatement) low ground that was flooded from the winter snow and retained the stagnant water for a couple of months towards the back of my property was calling my name. Actually screaming loud enough to call the x and ask for MY shovel and wheelbarrow. He gave me my shovel but kept the wheelbarrow. The love of my life promptly replaced it with the biggest bestest wheelbarrow he could find. And I began. This time I'm not doing it alone though. Love of my life is sharing the project with me when he has free time and gets in there with his own shovel. Yes we are hand digging again.

I have not measured it. Well I started to but I ran out of tape measure and figured I really didn't wanted know after that. The deepest part is 3 feet below ground level but the actual water level will be about 4 feet deep as dirt from the pond is being placed around the border of the flood line.

I just couldn't resist sharing the process. I'm using clay as the base for a waterfall that I carefully formed to be sure it would not look like a toilet bowl. There will also be a swim up bar and I'm racking my brain for a cost effective way to do a grotto. I am able to get rock for free with lots of labor from a nearby quarry. One can only carry rocks so big tough. It may end up being a future addition when budget allows. I expect this pond to take me at least through next summer and possibly the fall before it is usable. But as pond lovers know, a pond is never actually "done".

0028.jpg

I will start a thread for the ponds progress pictures in the appropriate forum.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
another-fish-welcome.gif
Rapunzel
Wow you have had an uphill battle trying to get yourself a what do you call it........... swim/pond perhaps? Will be cool watching it come together. Now is this pond going to have fish in it and you can swim w/ the fishes or? You didn't mention fish so I was not sure.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like you have a darn good start at it if you ask me. This is gonna be a build that is going to be quite interesting to watch. I sure hope you succeed! We'll be pullin for ya! What kind of liner are you putting in? There are some here that use the ones that aren't slippery. Ask addy1 about that one cuz she loves hers. We will be here to help if you need any. Happy digging :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Frogswelcomev.gif

Welcome to our group! That will be one neat pond when you are done........fantastic.
We will love being lap top supervisors of your work in progress.

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
Welcome, Rapunzel! That's quite the dig you've taken on. Glad you're getting some help from TLOYL. :luxlove: You might want to look into renting a mini excavator. They're not really that expensive to rent and will make quick work of the digging so you can move on to the fun ponding stuff. My hubby dug our first pond by shovel but said no way with the newer, larger pond. He and my son dug a 15x11x3 pond in May in a matter of a few hours.

Happy ponding! :blueflower: Diana

Reaction score
"laptop supervisors" LOL!

I have not decided on a liner yet. I just finished going back in forth in my head as to whether it would be a chlorinated concrete lagoon pool or a fish safe swim pond. I finally decided on pond because my fish have always been fun to watch (I had some black moores with the funniest personalities) and because of the land the pond is on/in. Concreting so close to so many trees and expecting it not to crack would have driven me insane (because I'm not already of course).

The pond fills in a decent rain storm and lies stagnant. I have not yet had the patience to walk away from the pond and let the water sit to see how long it holds its own. I pump it out everytime. (It slows down the work- not to mention the mosquitoes).

My brain storm right now is to line the waterfall and swim up bar to protect it from collapse then use rocks and concrete to "keep the clay and muck at bay" while allowing it to change water levels naturally. When I get that far I'll dig (no pun intended) through the forums to see if I can make that concrete fish safe. I used a silo cover on my first expiriment pond then epdm in my last pond so I have no experience as far as other ways to line.

I do know I NEED some serious strength and plenty of rock. I have 2 daughters in college with visiting friends. A son who is a senior in high school, also with lots of visiting friends (I think most of them may live here. Is it a sign when I do their laundry and cook their dinner?) and 12 and 13 year old boys (who I expect will soon have their own share of visiting friends). This pond can't be made for tip toeing around in. It's gonna suffer some fun and abuse. I can't be worried about a loose waterfall rock (guarantee the 12 year old will climb the waterfall when I'm not looking) and bordering hardscape will be tossed into the water (guarantee the 13 year old will use the bar as a target for river rock when I'm not looking). My 18 year old son is alreading threatening to put a jet ski in LOL.

My deep part is done for the most part so I am too late for renting a mini excavator. LOML wanted to but I told him I didn't want to spend the money on digging. I'm at a point now where I have a layer of sod to remove here and there and levels to dig at and fine tune. You are right! I want to get to the fun parts!!!!!!

BTW I have looked at so many of your ponds when I come in too tired to even climb in the shower. Wow there are beauties here!!!!

Reaction score
Now that I think of it, all this talk of lining is really pointless. I know what is really going to happen...

My family is going to pad it, put a locking door on it and say "don't worry mommy/honey, it's your new "room". We will be back with breakfast and a nice man named Mr. Shrink in the morning. Here is some candy, it will help you sleep. Night mommy/honey." Click.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Keep up the hard work, it's going to look fantastic! Already looks great so far, sounds like a really interesting project.

Oh and welcome to the forums! :)

Ask a Question