I've got babies!!

Reaction score
Hello all. I happened to find this forum last night as I surfing for info on these baby fish in my pond. I spotted them (4 of them) a couple nights ago. They are so small and I can only see them at night with the pond light on.
But let me back-up to a little more than 2 months ago.....My largest koi, Cowboy, turned out to be CowGIRL when I saw another koi, previously named Princess (now Harold), chasing her like crazy, the whole mating ritual that I have only read about. At the same time my shubunkin, Lucy (now Luciano), was love-crazed after my other shubunkin, Li'l Bit.
Well, since then, all 3 of my koi have died (very sad) within a week of each other. I found some small worms in their filter (look like pieces of wiry hair that move), and I assumed they were anchor worms. I have since treated the pond and have not found anymore. Anyway, all my goldfish survived along with one young koi that was in a separate pond. Moved the koi, Gloria, in with the others and got some mosquito fish for the 'fishless' pond so I wouldn't have to run a pump all the time. Well, silly me was filling the 'mosquito' pond and let it run over. Somehow, some of the mosquito fish ended up in the fish pond (they're not even connected, so that's another mystery). So...I was wondering if you fish experts think these are mosquito fish babies. I know the chances of babies surviving in a pond with hungry fish is not good, so I didn't think these were koi or goldfish, plus, I would think they would be bigger than an inch long and 1/4" wide by now. AND THEN...(I swear I am NOT making this up)....tonight I was feeding my fish and looking for these tiny colorless babies, when I saw an unfamiliar fish. Very small, yet bigger than the 'babies'. So I looked closer and harder and I'll be darned if it isn't a baby koi from Cowgirl! I couldn't believe it and made a friend come over and look. He confirmed I was not seeing things. So how 'bout that? I am a proud, grand, er, fish owner!
Well, what a way to introduce myself. I don't usually write so much, but, I'm just so excited about this discovery. And I could be wrong about it being a Koi. It could be a goldfish or even a cross. The only reason I think it's a koi is because I have read that pond-bred 'mutts' are usually ugly and this one is not (of course, maybe I'm just partial), but, it doesn't look like a shubunkin. So I guess time will tell. And I will try to get some pix of it when it gets less shy.
So glad to have found this forum! I encourage your feedback...is this young one safe now? should I move the mosquito fish to the other pond?
thank you for listening:fish2:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if theres a chance of smaller fry in the pond i would move the squeeter fish. but what a nice surprise huh? we have been hearing alot of this this year...mystery babies appearing as if by majic! enjoy the blessing and your pond!! and welcomew to the group

Reaction score
Welcome! I have no experience with mosquito fish. I keep finding babies in my pond. I thought my guys were all done spawning but they must be doing it while my back is turned. Babies are fun, if you get a chance, take a photo and post it.

Reaction score
Thank you KoiGuy for your input...those lil skeeter fish are sure hard to net, especially when the big fish get in the way. I may have to wait till they get dormant in winter...IF they get dormant in winter (it's pretty mild here).

Leanne, I think I will have to turn my back more often, eh?;) Will get those pix as soon as he stops acting like he could be another's meal.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
FYI, mosquito fish are live bearers. They do not spawn. And they are very difficult to get rid of once they get into a pond. I had to drain and sterilize everything to get rid of mine so the Koi coulod spawn successfully.

Reaction score
Dr Dave, what is so bad about mosquito fish? Over population? Parasites? Bacteria? I'm thinking the other tiny fish I first saw are mosquito fish..something in the way their tails are all wiggly and the fact that they are always near the surface of the pond.
I guess I better take care of the problem now. thanks for the info

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
They are very aggressive and will eat everything they can fit into their mouths. You will not have a successful spawn with them. I put in 12 and in 2 years had 1800.

Ask a Question