j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Cuz they will take over right? Maybe they are goldfish or koi babies. Eggs will travel even on bird legs :)

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Thanks! It is a month old and has been a joy. All I do with it is just toop it off for evaporation. With no fish and all the plants it cleared really fast. The thing I have found interesting are the critters showing up in there that I haven't had in the big pond due to the fish. like the little snails in the first picture.

A good reason I want to add a wildlife pond to my yard.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Cuz they will take over right? Maybe they are goldfish or koi babies. Eggs will travel even on bird legs :)

Update on the fishies, Hubby and I counted 7 of them last night!!! And they are not mosquito fish!!! :) Not sure what they are but once they get a little bigger I can get a better idea and hopefully just scoop them out and put them in the big pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You will have to take some pix as they grow and let us know what they turn out to be.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Iffin I were a betting person I say comets. But they could be koi I guess. I think they may have come in on the hyacinths I got from the local nursery. They are tiny right now and brown so it's hard to tell.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sounds like goldfish cuz koi can start out young w/ colors from the pix I've seen from people raising them here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I was able to take a couple pictures. I will try again tonight as they come out of the rocks more in the evening.

DSCN5712.JPG
DSCN5722.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have koi babies right now, even though I did nothing to keep my koi from eating the eggs...at least 12 survived, they are very colorful.....which surprised me :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Someone posted these pix of goldfish fry on the net. Kinda looks like yours don't they? Although yours may be more mature. These still have that fat tummy look to them. I guess you won't know for sure for awhile.
iu

iu

iu

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They do look similar, but mine are for sure a little more mature.. Lets see, the water garden was started up on the Sunday before Memorial Day which was the day all the plants were added. So it's five weeks and 3 days old. I am guessing that is about how old these little guys are then. Since we have actually seen 7 I'd be willing to bet there are many more! I sure hope they are koi instead of comets. I am swimming in comets and keep having to donate them in to the local fish store. Last year I took in 20 and could barely notice the difference.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If they are koi wouldn't they have barbels or do those come later? I don't have koi so don't know that much about them except I've heard they would prolly have color by now if yours are that old. Wonder if they could be some kind of minnows?

Ask a Question