OK Random Newbi Pond Planting Question

Reaction score
OK, So I have had a Small pond for a few years and I was a lone wolf through those days and didn't really research and did the trail by fire type thing... I have now expanded the pond from 400 gallons to 2000 gallons.

Here are my (probably Stupid) questions:

I want to plant a wonderland of pond plants and flowers... I have multiple levels for all types of plants from deep to bog..
So I have used the little square baskets for planting, but I am not a big fan of them... I was thinking about taking a few large river rocks, and putting them around the inside on each shelf and filling the shelve with small rocks and planting freely on the shelf instead of the square baskets... But this concerns me to problems in the future. Since I am new I am sure there is pros and cons to everything... So can some experienced pond people give me some words of advice on this.

Also. Instead of those small square baskets, I though of making my own submersible garden beds... maybe custom made long baskets like a garden bed... has anyone done this? If so do you have a link or pictures to show how? or what did you use?

I am sure I will have many many may more questions, I'm still in set up phase and do not even have rock yet, just liner..
I will send pics after this weekend.

Thank you for all the help!!!!

Reaction score
Planting in between rocks like that is called "bare foot" planting, and for some plants it works well, but for others it doesn't work so well. Some of the more evasive plants can quickly get out of hand and spread everywhere. Some other plants require more nutrients then bare foot planting provides (especially in well filtered ponds), and benefit from being contained in pots and given regular doses of supplemental fertilizer.
So, you are right, there are pros and cons.
I find the best compromise is the use of fabric pots. If you have any sewing skills at all, you can buy yourself some heavy landscape fabric and make yourself some fabric pots. They can be made into any shape or size you require, they contain the root system of plants quite well, and they have the added benefit that the fabric camouflages very well into the pond environment, unlike the rigid edges of plastic pots.
Here are some examples of some water iris roots being planted in homemade fabric pots.
These water iris grew and bloomed very well in these pots for several years, and can easily be removed or moved to another location.
full

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I thought I was the only one that did that .I use the plastic thread and sew it several times

Reaction score
Awesome Answer! Thanx Guys! I love the idea of fabric planters... and I didn't even think about invasives taking over the whole pond.. Very nice and detailed answer!

Ask a Question