Just a little reassurance please

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
View attachment 97753

Alright here we go again..... I have fed my two large Koi every day since the first of February..... Except when a cold snap was coming..... My water temperature has varied from a high of 70 degree's to the lowest of 55 degree's.... Today it is 66... When you look in my earlier post the ammonia was up to. 25 ppm.... Which is normal.... But now I have no ammonia but also no nitritrates.... So what I am thinking I have some bacterial action going but no nitrates to show for it.... Or is it I have bacteria that is taking care of the ammonia and the nitrates and my filter media is doing its job.... Guys please bear with me I know I am being a "Nervous Nellie".... Just new at this and want to do it right.....thanks Jimmy
Also from left to right it's PH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. High PH was fine... I really think API should throw in the fifth vial..... Lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Except for dissolved carbonates, looks like depleted water conditions, not much munchies for plants to chow down on, a waterlily will be pleading, feed me, when waters warm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Except for dissolved carbonates, looks like depleted water conditions, not much munchies for plants to chow down on, a waterlily will be pleading, feed me, when waters warm
Planning on adding more fish..... But I am going to be picky.... So what I am taking from this is my biology in my filters is working but I need more fish load.... Also have plans for aquatic plants just waiting for warmer weather..... And I guess more fish..... Thanks for your help

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Since your pH is showing 7.6, why not try testing with the 'high pH' solution to see if it is any higher. Oh, and congrats on getting the ammonia down!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Since your pH is showing 7.6, why not try testing with the 'high pH' solution to see if it is any higher. Oh, and congrats on getting the ammonia down!
High PH was between 7.4 and 7.8

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You should probably still use the high pH test kit or both instead of just the low one. If your pH rises you'll still see 7.6 on the low and not really know the truth.
I use the high PH but for picture purposes I left the high ph off since API only gives you four vials.... Lol

Ask a Question