K'nex for raising pump?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wondering if anyone has tried using K'nex to make a prefilter box or a shelf to raise a pump off the pond bottom? I can't find any info pertaining if its harmful to fish...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just didn't want to have to make a shelf out of light diffusers and PVC. I did that with a salt water tank and one time was enough. :-D

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, actually……. I wish I had pics, but about 20 years ago, I used them to make a false bottom for a water addition I built for my hatchling box turtles! I wanted depth so that the filtration would be better (had a small pressure filter), but the turtles only needed a few inches of depth. This was in a 100 gallon tank. 2/3 of the tank was dry, but on one end I siliconed a partition to allow for the wet part.

It worked great in the 100 gallon tank to support and be the false bottom, but I honestly don’t think it will be practical on a larger scale. Look instead for something like a “milk crate.” I got mine at Tractor Supply. Much more sturdy for what it sounds like you are wanting.

30D28D45-0D17-41AA-8919-8C8E818A0103.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well, actually……. I wish I had pics, but about 20 years ago, I used them to make a false bottom for a water addition I built for my hatchling box turtles! I wanted depth so that the filtration would be better (had a small pressure filter), but the turtles only needed a few inches of depth. This was in a 100 gallon tank. 2/3 of the tank was dry, but on one end I siliconed a partition to allow for the wet part.

It worked great in the 100 gallon tank to support and be the false bottom, but I honestly don’t think it will be practical on a larger scale. Look instead for something like a “milk crate.” I got mine at Tractor Supply. Much more sturdy for what it sounds like you are wanting.

View attachment 152618
I actually have a milk crate that I was thinking of using but it seemed like I would wasting space in the intake bay. Guess I can always dig deeper. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not a cheap answer but a very good one is aquablocks i cut a hole in the side for the pipe and wire. placed the pump inside and it has it's own catch to keep fish from swimming in to the pump that is with the exception of fry.

Ask a Question