Koi concern

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
can we not imbed pics like that but keep them so we have to click on. just sat down with lunch to look over and well i am not hungry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
can we not imbed pics like that but keep them so we have to click on. just sat down with lunch to look over and well i am not hungry.
Very sorry for upsetting your dinner but when you've been keeping for 30 years you learn to do autopsy's to find out why the poor fish died to avoid it happening again to any of your other fish not that we like doing it .
@Angel You may be upset by the photo's but I'll bet you eat fish, I do and so do many people , we eat them without a thought about the trauma they themselves go through to be on our dinner plates ?
Being a former deep sea fisherman I do and it isn't very nice, please buy and read "Do fish feel Pain" by Professor Victoria Braithwaite ISBN 9780199 551200 its quite an eye opener and makes me ashamed of my former Job
@Tula thanks for mentioning the tumour (sorry still not quite up to speed as of yet)

Dave 54

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Very sorry for upsetting your dinner but when you've been keeping for 30 years you learn to do autopsy's to find out why the poor fish died to avoid it happening again to any of your other fish not that we like doing it .
@Angel You may be upset by the photo's but I'll bet you eat fish, I do and so do many people , we eat them without a thought about the trauma they themselves go through to be on our dinner plates ?
Being a former deep sea fisherman I do and it isn't very nice, please buy and read "Do fish feel Pain" by Professor Victoria Braithwaite ISBN 9780199 551200 its quite an eye opener and makes me ashamed of my former Job
@Tula thanks for mentioning the tumour (sorry still not quite up to speed as of yet)

Dave 54
nah i get it. i eat meat. but i don't do the "dirty work"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
nah i get it. i eat meat. but i don't do the "dirty work"
True @Angel true and as I said when I read that book it upset me greatly , I'd never given t a thought until then .
Now we all think of fish as slow and unfeeling, with brains so primitive that they are capable only of simple behaviour but recent evidence challenges this view, with the professor being at the forefront of research into fish behavior and perception, here she discusses what we know about the ability of fish to feel pain and suffer.
She argues that the care we accord to mammals and birds should be extended to fish, with this conclusion having far reaching and often surprising implications for our dealings with fish.
Professor Braithwaite along with a team of researchers says that indeed fish do feel pain with her research she also gives fish cognative abilities seen previously in only a handful of animals.
Chimpanzees , lions dolphins and hawks are all accorded substantial protection in countries , .
I this book she recounts fascinating experiments and ingenious experiments , Like in many other topical debates the fish pain question needs sound science for informed debate but it can't be resolved by science alone both ethics and philosophy have role too.
The professor sets the science in the context of the ethical issues surrounding our interactions with animals, she raises questions about animal welfare asking why it took us so long to ask whether fish have the capacity to suffer and where to draw the line when it comes to which animals to protect.
Science she argues, suggests ways to balance fish welfare with the benefits that us humans get from fish.

For the humble fish keeper it means the best in our treatment of them, regular maintenance to their ponds and for us to test water the ponds water parameters on a regular basis.
I see i all too often that people view fish keeping as its ok for fish to die as they are a throwaway commodity and we can always buy new, (I hate the idea of feeder fish seeing it as cruel and uneccessary ) but that's my own opinion ..
This is far away from the truth Koi live upwards of 80+ years and goldfish live upwards of 40+ years and as such we are responsible for a life span that is often on a par with our own, when we die we are given an autopsy and is the main reason I give fish them also, I have one koi 30 years + years of age if it passed I would be mortified yes but I would want to find out the reason it died wouldn't you ?
I hope this tempts you into buying this book its quit an eye opener

Dave 54

Hev

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Morning Dave

We are going to give our beautiful koi one chance at survival before we euthanise him as it seems so sad. I found out that he is at least 20 years old and we owe it to try one more time. We have taken him out of the pond this morning into a QT tank and going to slowly increase the temperature as per your previous advice. I hope this will turn things around and he did swim and come to the top for a moment after moving him but since retreated to the bottom again. I have taken some pictures this morning as you can see him much clearer and see some red patches which I thought may give you a better idea of what’s wrong. I have ordered water test kit too as I would be mortified if there are problems with the water but the other koi and goldfish seem perfectly fine. I promise to update and if he does not make it or we do the kindest thing and use euthanasia as last option then my son will do an autopsy for you to diagnose for us.
Heather

Attachments

• 280078B2-5240-4A60-B79A-9F5464B18B3A.jpeg
    280078B2-5240-4A60-B79A-9F5464B18B3A.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 9AF1F3C7-1B76-436C-BA9B-4C56B81A40B0.jpeg
    9AF1F3C7-1B76-436C-BA9B-4C56B81A40B0.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 9A51537F-8B5C-4D8C-B101-7E2C07F9950B.jpeg
    9A51537F-8B5C-4D8C-B101-7E2C07F9950B.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 8F1760B5-7BAC-4231-803F-5CA2320C1922.jpeg
    8F1760B5-7BAC-4231-803F-5CA2320C1922.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 152
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hev, If it were my fish, I'd do just what you're doing, giving it a chance. Do you have an air stone you can add to the container, to gently provide oxygen?

Hev

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hev, If it were my fish, I'd do just what you're doing, giving it a chance. Do you have an air stone you can add to the container, to gently provide oxygen?
Thanks Tula
Yes we have just added the air stone.
He did show signs of a little more movement a few moments ago so fingers crossed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’d recommend you see if there is a vet near you that does fish. I don’t know if any do, so maybe you can try calling a zoo? Bass pro, some place is bound to have someone who can give a diagnosis. If it is a tumor, they might be able to do something about it. I gather he is a valued pet, and as such, if you can give him a chance at the vet same as any other pet, it might be something they can cure.

Hev

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
:cry::cry::cry:
Just to let you know that our beautiful koi has finally fallen asleep. We couldn’t keep him alive as he looked as though he was suffering even though we tried our very best by putting him in QT tank but you could see he was just lying on his side so this morning we did as Dave54 said and used the clove oil as euthanasia and he’s now at peace. I did not think I could get as emotional about a fish but you get so attached and as he was the largest of all our fish it’s a massive void. Thanks for all your comments and expert advice much appreciated
Hev

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm so sorry he didn't make it. We do get attached to our pets whether they have fur or fins. We lost a koi a couple of years ago we had for 25 years.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh, so sorry! It’s hard to lose them, especially the big ones.

Going forward, tell us about your pond - how big, how many gallons, how many fish, what kind, type of filtration. And pictures - we love pictures!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Loosing a pet hurts. He was big and beautiful, be sure to burry him close to the pond.

Ask a Question