Koi concern

Discussion in 'Fish & Koi Talk' started by Hev, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Hev

Hev

Morning Dave

We are going to give our beautiful koi one chance at survival before we euthanise him as it seems so sad. I found out that he is at least 20 years old and we owe it to try one more time. We have taken him out of the pond this morning into a QT tank and going to slowly increase the temperature as per your previous advice. I hope this will turn things around and he did swim and come to the top for a moment after moving him but since retreated to the bottom again. I have taken some pictures this morning as you can see him much clearer and see some red patches which I thought may give you a better idea of what’s wrong. I have ordered water test kit too as I would be mortified if there are problems with the water but the other koi and goldfish seem perfectly fine. I promise to update and if he does not make it or we do the kindest thing and use euthanasia as last option then my son will do an autopsy for you to diagnose for us.
    Heather

Attached Files:

Hev, Jan 31, 2018
    Tula likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Hev

Tula

Hev, If it were my fish, I'd do just what you're doing, giving it a chance. Do you have an air stone you can add to the container, to gently provide oxygen?

Tula, Jan 31, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Hev

Hev

Thanks Tula
    Yes we have just added the air stone.
    He did show signs of a little more movement a few moments ago so fingers crossed

Hev, Jan 31, 2018
    Tula likes this.
  4. Hev

JamieB

I’d recommend you see if there is a vet near you that does fish. I don’t know if any do, so maybe you can try calling a zoo? Bass pro, some place is bound to have someone who can give a diagnosis. If it is a tumor, they might be able to do something about it. I gather he is a valued pet, and as such, if you can give him a chance at the vet same as any other pet, it might be something they can cure.

JamieB, Feb 1, 2018
  5. Hev

Hev

:cry::cry::cry:
    Just to let you know that our beautiful koi has finally fallen asleep. We couldn’t keep him alive as he looked as though he was suffering even though we tried our very best by putting him in QT tank but you could see he was just lying on his side so this morning we did as Dave54 said and used the clove oil as euthanasia and he’s now at peace. I did not think I could get as emotional about a fish but you get so attached and as he was the largest of all our fish it’s a massive void. Thanks for all your comments and expert advice much appreciated
    Hev

Hev, Feb 1, 2018
    Tula likes this.
  6. Hev

mrsclem mrsclem

I'm so sorry he didn't make it. We do get attached to our pets whether they have fur or fins. We lost a koi a couple of years ago we had for 25 years.

mrsclem, Feb 1, 2018
  7. Hev

Lisak1

Oh, so sorry! It’s hard to lose them, especially the big ones.

Going forward, tell us about your pond - how big, how many gallons, how many fish, what kind, type of filtration. And pictures - we love pictures!

Lisak1, Feb 1, 2018
  8. Hev

Becky Administrator

I'm really sorry to hear that, sounds like it was the right decision though :(

Becky, Feb 1, 2018
  9. Hev

JamieB

Loosing a pet hurts. He was big and beautiful, be sure to burry him close to the pond.

JamieB, Feb 1, 2018
  10. Hev

Hev

Thanks all for your kind comforting words :cry:

Hev, Feb 1, 2018
  11. Hev

Tula

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you lost him. It's very hard to lose such a big and special fish, but you did the right thing not letting him suffer.

Tula, Feb 1, 2018
  12. Hev

Dave 54

@Hev you have to know when to call int quits on a sick koi and sadly this one was at that point were we should do a kindness .
    However we can still learn from what you came across when you took the koi from the water to put him in QT , could you tell us of what you felt from his distended tummy ?
    Was it hard to the touch which would indicate a tumour or was the area more fluid as though there was a build up of fluid ?
    plus anything ele that you can remember .

Dave

Dave 54, Feb 4, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question