Koi Died

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks, Meyer; can you continue the waterfall specs discussion by expanding more on what you posted? I.E., which is better; the sheet or cascade? How/can you measure this? Is there some sort of formula that approximates how to expand a waterfall to incorporate these numbers? And does height help (I'd assume so as more surface area at least). Is there an optimum re flow rate? Faster, slower (I'd lean this way, but maybe not?) And same with the stream; fast/slow--any particulars? Better to have it rock bottomed or bare? See? You've opened up some new cans of worms, methinks! :)

Btw, I do have a stream but it's very short (approx 5', about 18" wide, 8" deepest, but was thinking of adding another stream that would wind through my existing vegetation and link to the pond, so you've given me more reason to consider this!)

Rather than hi-jack Paul Buccetti's thread. Why don't you begin a new thread with your questions and I will try to answer them as best I can without getting too technical.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't hate the experts @Dave 54 - I just don't necessarily always believe what they say. I have that kind of personality - I question and test just about everything I hear or read. As I mentioned in another thread, there are lots and lots and LOTS of examples of times that the "experts" have been proven wrong. So I take what "they" say with a grain of salt.

I do, however, always believe what I can observe with my own eyes. I have seen dozens of ponds that are only 2 feet deep in our climate stocked with koi that thrive in our winter temps. How do you argue with what you can see?

The OP also mentioned his fish had survived in his pond for 15 years. Two things changed in those years - his fish got bigger and this year was colder. You assumed it was the colder weather. I assume it's the size of the fish - he finally reached the tipping point. Is cold weather stressful for fish? I'm sure it is. But moving fish from outdoors to indoors is said to be stressful, too, and yet lots of ponders do it as a routine practice. In a perfect world our fish would experience no stress. In the real world, we can only minimize it as much as possible.

As for deeper being better - we met a man in a pond store who was rebuilding his pond. His original pond was 4x4 and nearly six feet deep. Time after time his fish died. He determined from his experience that surface area is also an important factor in allowing your pond to off-gas. (He was forced to rebuild when the sidewalls started collapsing - digging a hole that deep isn't necessarily the safest thing to do.)
You know I find it strange why we here in the UK with the deeper koi ponds seem not to get these problems and you guys still dont get it our fish survive yours seem to suffer..why ?
Time after time I've talked on about being prepared for winter, I do it every year not only to remind us but for the newbie what the pitfalls can be etc.
Lisa i dont asume the OP's winters have grown harder I know so from the very reports that come in not just from the OP but from others.
Plus what we see on the news and read on the net or read in the papers l so Yes I will call into question the depth of a persons pond its only logical that I do .
I do have some idea of the US climate and that of certain parts of the world visited by myself over the years and I've identified as a major problem of your repearedly being visited by the polar vortex and the problems metion by both Meyer and your good self
Lisa Slick and I follow a set of rules set out buy the BKKS and our local setion mine would be Plymouth and Slicks I think North Yorkshire we lean our ponds and filters as prescribed we get long hard winters perhap not as hard as yours but they are long and hard yet we seem to get no losses and Val and I havent since we moved outside .
In my section we have the former head of the BKKS Health standards committee , He's my mentor I've learned alott from him and one of those things was how to keep koi alive throughout winter.
Each year we do our set routines and by late Autumn we are ready for winter covers and all and we have no problems neither do we see problems in the spring @Andy41 has seen the quality we keep our koi at he visited last year if you recall .
Now this winter may only be our 6th of the 28 years weve been keeping but we took onboard what was being said to us , weve had no losses of koi , weve even saw temperatures of -15c with a hard snow (and that was under aa bubble wrapped frame pre polycarbonate roofing sheet) this was on our very first year outside ,though thanfully this year was only -10c it is stilll very cold for koi carp yet we allow no ice we have a temperature under the covers of 7c unheated.
What works for us guys should work for you so why not try digging those ponds that bit deeper live by rules set out by others even if you dont join the club.
If these vortex's are going to keep on year on year your going to have to address this at some level or other.
It's only logical you do this , so please forgive me for being the caring sort

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I think there are 3 benefits to extra water depth in fish ponds - extra swimming room (which will help decrease stress for the fish}, extra water volume which gives you added buffering capacity against rapid changes in water quality and protection from thick ice levels during the winter. That's it.
Water circulation and exposure of that water to the open air is what matters.
The floating heater that you use, Paul, would only have provided minimal water surface that was exposed to the open air for gas exchange.
I think lack of oxygen for the fish was the problem for you this year.

A fix for next year would be to use a pond breather instead of a floating heater element.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lisa i dont asume the OP's winters have grown harder I know so from the very reports that come in not just from the OP but from others.

You misunderstood what I said - I didn't say you assumed the "winters have grown harder", I said you assumed it was the harsher weather that killed his fish. The weather conditions are not a matter of opinion. But in my estimation it wasn't the weather at all, it was the size and number of fish in too small a pond. So we agree the OP needs a bigger pond... or fewer fish, or perhaps the same number of fish, just no big fish. (I don't like seeing koi in small ponds at all - I like to see them with space to swim and show off their size. Small ponds are better suited as goldfish ponds. But that's just my opinion - some koi seem to do fine in small, well managed ponds.) I just don't agree that a pond must be at minimum 4.5 feet deep as you do. Did you read what @Meyer Jordan quoted from a major US university? Best depth of a pond - no less than 2 feet and no more than 4 feet.

We've had two hard winters in a row in SOME parts of the US. (Some areas actually had milder than normal weather. Overall, the average temp in the US was reported to be only one tenth of one degree colder than the 2o year average.) Many many MANY ponders in our climate (myself included) do NONE of the things that you recommend and yet our fish thrive. They don't suffer, they don't die - to the contrary, the come out of winter looking bigger and stronger than they did the previous fall. I don't insulate, I don't use pond covers, I don't heat my pond, I don't even have a mechanical filter on my pond - all things that you believe are essential to keeping koi outdoors. We had days on end that were -20 F and nights that got down to -30 F the last two winters. And yet our fish survived. But knowing that, you still recommend that I need to change the way I address my pond in winter. But why would I change what I can see with my own eyes has been successful for me and countless other people?

(I don't know why my fonts get all wonky, BTW. It makes it look like I am shouting, which is not my intent at all! Friendly discourse with a good man!)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all again! So here's where I'm at - too many fish in the pond, I should make it bigger and hoping to do so this year - bigger as in as deep as the town (and my back :)) will allow and plan on more oxygen in the pond for next year. But - when I first got hooked on keeping a pond, I read as much as I could find and remember seeing pictures of ponds that turned into huge slushy puddles with dead fish caused by running the waterfall. Am I remembering that right? I realize I could get a bubbler instead of running the falls.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We run our falls all winter - our last two winters have been brutally cold with spells of -20 degrees (-35 at night) lasting for many days. No slushy pond, no dead fish. I'm not sure what you saw - maybe too shallow? Too small? Just guessing here...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi Paul

Sorry for your loss. As Dave54 said I was worried too, but not due to poor pond design but it was the coldest February on record so I did not know what to expect. Last year I had only one air pump running, it did fine but struggled in the real cold temps. This year I ran 2 air pumps and it did much better against the extreme cold. My pond is 3ft at the deepest area, actually 33" to be exact. I also worked with keeping the snow off the pond. I shoveled the entire pond and then back from the edge a bit to avoid extreme melting into the pond. My air stones were around 14" down from the surface. As you can see in the pictures, they work well keeping the pond open. I did have to open them up a bit with hot water when we had the single digits for multiple days, but the ice was very thin and it never iced over completely. I do have a large surface area, 18' x 26'. No fish loss this year, I did have to dead frogs. I am fully up and running now.

This was after the blizzard

channel01_20150127135925_909-jpg.78101

This was in February with about 5ft of snow on the sides

channel01_20150222163703_552-jpg.78586

This has about 10" of ice

channel01_20150311082552_669-jpg.78950

Melts much faster with the air also

channel01_20150321091220_909-jpg.79101

Fully open

channel01_20150325160134_182-jpg.79243

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I too was worried about the cold temps this winter, as it was definitely the coldest winter since I've had them. I think I panicked a bit before winter and threw everything but the kitchen sink at the pond.....pond breather, aerator and pond de-icer! Sadly, the pond breather was defective, but the airstones about a foot into the water, with the pond de-iacer over them, seemed to have worked.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
My fish did well this year. I had two pond breathers, 2 large air stones and a pump to bubble water to keep the surface moving. The pond is 25x35. Last year the fish didn't fare quite as well with the air stones and pump. The breathers seemed to have made a difference. This year I lost 4 of last years babies which means I have 4 fewer to net and give away. Last year I lost count of how many floaters i had.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Paul, Again sorry about your fish. I have not lost any fish two years in a row despite very cold temps here in the Chicago area. I have kept a waterfall going both winters and i think this helps oxygenate my water even if it slows to a trickle at times. In my opinion surface area is one of the most important things for healthy water and probably more important than how deep the pond is. A lot of people talk about depth but really the deeper parts of a pond store very little oxygen. I know this rule is more for beginners but I have stuck to it and it helps me; 1 square foot of surface area for every inch of fish to provide good gas exchange at the surface, and this would be for a 5-6 inch fish. Larger fish need much larger surface area.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
@Andy41 has seen the quality we keep our koi at he visited last year if you recall .

We had -20C here, and all the fish survived. The year before i lost one fish. The difference?... i added a much larger polystyrene air ring and air pump, plus used some polystyrene sheeting to cover most of the pond, as @Dave 54 suggested.

And Dave's fish did look extremely healthy.

cheers,

Andy.

Ask a Question