Koi Pond Aeration?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Did you know that a sheer waterfall produces more O2 than a cascading one?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Also a fine air bubble diffuser will produce more O2 than a coarse bubble diffuser, but is harder on the pump.

Reaction score
Well I ran the 1st test with the ponds waterfall running, the second test was with the diffuser and waterfall running so why did the O2 increase with the second test?

? I never said that adding airstones wouldn't increase your dissolved 02, that wasn't the point of the disscusion.

Did you know that a sheer waterfall produces more O2 than a cascading one?

I did not know that, were did you find that information? Doesn't seem right but then again I don't know for sure.

Also a fine air bubble diffuser will produce more O2 than a coarse bubble diffuser, but is harder on the pump.

Yes I knew this, many tiny bubbles equate to more surface area and greater surface disturbance.

You didn't answer my question though, are your diffusors part of a airdome/bottom drain system?

Reaction score
I have a retro bottom drain. I try to sit my air diffuser disc on top of this to try to act like an aerated drain, but it really isn't....

Still think we're actually all in agreement! LOL!

Reaction score
yee haw. great friendly discussion!! i was just about to write a new thread asking if anyone knew if there needed to be a "drop" in a waterfall to add oxygen. I'd really LOVE to have one of those electronic O2 meters but they are too pricey so i use the chemical test.

rw

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I not only have a small drop on all 3 waterfalls, two are cascading over rocks. It is easy to do if you plan ahead.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im not getting into any debate only to say airstones can only be a plus for the pond and fish,,,,,,,,,, my problem is I have a good powerfull air-pump 4500 L/P/H I run 3 x 5" Disc diffuser stones from it spread evenly down the pond only the Airlines wont sink Ive took them out and removed the discs and blew them out but still they wont sink but float on top of te water which is un-sightly, any idea's or tips please would be great
John

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im not getting into any debate only to say airstones can only be a plus for the pond and fish,,,,,,,,,, my problem is I have a good powerfull air-pump 4500 L/P/H I run 3 x 5" Disc diffuser stones from it spread evenly down the pond only the Airlines wont sink Ive took them out and removed the discs and blew them out but still they wont sink but float on top of te water which is un-sightly, any idea's or tips please would be great
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Roadrunner said:
John

Stainless steel washers, or a bolt, or even not stainless, wire tie it to the airline

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Roadrunner said:
John

Stainless steel washers, or a bolt, or even not stainless, wire tie it to the airline

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I use stainless steel nuts which are a bit heavier and easier to work with than other media. 5/16 nuts work with 1/4" line.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I use stainless steel nuts which are a bit heavier and easier to work with than other media. 5/16 nuts work with 1/4" line.

Ask a Question