Koi skin lacerations

Reaction score
Country
United States
ok I guess I learned something new. I wasn't aware that salt is no longer something to add to a pond. I will plan water changes to get rid of the salt. Someone in this forum had recommended another product to help with the slime coat. I looked at Slime coat help. Should I stay away from that as well?

Thanks for your advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would, but everyone has their own opinion and way of doing things.

I hesitate to add anything to the water in my pond. I'm a believer that the best medicine is good water.

For the most part, the only thing I add is baking soda to maintain a good level of KH in order to keep the pH stable.

If a fish were injured and didn't seem to be healing well on its own, I would treat it in a hospital tank or treat the injury with iodine and a triple antibiotic and return it to the pond.

Your salt dip seems to have worked well and as long as you have good pond water, it should continue to improve.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
salt is very effective at killing FRESHWATER PARASITES it can also kill your fish , bacteria nuewts, frogs, tads, dragfly nymph, and plants.

Ulcers are a result of ph imballance . chemicals in the water like chlorine, chlomine, or any other high or too low levels . when your fish has a ulcer / often red blotch on it's side looks like a fresh burn , thats because it is a type of burn and to put a fresh water fish with a burn into a salt is cruel even at a low dose. you can use potasium pergonite as a dusting powder on a bacterial fuzz or ulcer this is painful to the fish but it will kill any parasite or bad bacteria or fungus.
there are also spray bandaids and many other alternatives . Knowing the cause is key a microscope and a scale and a good book become key.

Reaction score
Country
United States
salt is very effective at killing FRESHWATER PARASITES it can also kill your fish , bacteria nuewts, frogs, tads, dragfly nymph, and plants.

Ulcers are a result of ph imballance . chemicals in the water like chlorine, chlomine, or any other high or too low levels . when your fish has a ulcer / often red blotch on it's side looks like a fresh burn , thats because it is a type of burn and to put a fresh water fish with a burn into a salt is cruel even at a low dose. you can use potasium pergonite as a dusting powder on a bacterial fuzz or ulcer this is painful to the fish but it will kill any parasite or bad bacteria or fungus.
there are also spray bandaids and many other alternatives . Knowing the cause is key a microscope and a scale and a good book become key.
Thanks. I appreciate the information. Always happy to learn.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hesitate to add anything to the water in my pond. I'm a believer that the best medicine is good water.
Agree that the path most take is to go buy a bottle to fix the issue they have with their pond . When the best action they can take is to take a small portion of the money they would spend for the bottle goods and buy a better filter or MAKE a bog or a dyi system. That will improve the water which in turn the clarity we all strive for which in turn benefits the fish and their health. To an extent i believe there's no such thing as over filtration. .
While with the bog that maybe the single area lack of nutrients would show first that just means some plants won't do so well. i can live without a couple particular plants.
One lesson the planted tank and the reef tank taught me was with a healthy environment even parasites can co exist. When the fish are heathy their slime coat can protect them from a lot.
Try shinning a flash light in your fish tank some time at night and see what surprises may be in store for you.

When i re-did my bog i did so probably at the worst time of year . right at the end of winter when things started to come alive . i did have a couple fish all of a sudden come down with some fungus and a bacterial infection as they started to flash. As the bog was completed and came to life the water cleared up i had pea green water for only a couple days and it was not that bad to begin with . "thanks to the small peastone bog" I did mix up a little medicated food using oxolinic acid. That was all that was needed for the fish to get a little boost and now a month and a half latter everything looks great. And admittedly i have been over feeding a bit. It's been a bit stressful around here lately.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Agree that the path most take is to go buy a bottle to fix the issue they have with their pond . When the best action they can take is to take a small portion of the money they would spend for the bottle goods and buy a better filter or MAKE a bog or a dyi system. That will improve the water which in turn the clarity we all strive for which in turn benefits the fish and their health. To an extent i believe there's no such thing as over filtration. .
While with the bog that maybe the single area lack of nutrients would show first that just means some plants won't do so well. i can live without a couple particular plants.
One lesson the planted tank and the reef tank taught me was with a healthy environment even parasites can co exist. When the fish are heathy their slime coat can protect them from a lot.
Try shinning a flash light in your fish tank some time at night and see what surprises may be in store for you.

When i re-did my bog i did so probably at the worst time of year . right at the end of winter when things started to come alive . i did have a couple fish all of a sudden come down with some fungus and a bacterial infection as they started to flash. As the bog was completed and came to life the water cleared up i had pea green water for only a couple days and it was not that bad to begin with . "thanks to the small peastone bog" I did mix up a little medicated food using oxolinic acid. That was all that was needed for the fish to get a little boost and now a month and a half latter everything looks great. And admittedly i have been over feeding a bit. It's been a bit stressful around here lately.
Your pond is very impressive. My fish would be jealous. Thanks for the advice.

Ask a Question