Koi slick?

Reaction score
Howdy! Been doing the pond thing now for over a year now, so I've learned a lot, but still learning. I have had great success with my pond and have only lost 1 koi, and that was when I first started. I have a few koi that are a healthy 13 or 14 months. I just recently purchased 2 fish approximately 20" in length. Is it true that fish this size can produce a koi oil slick that actually smells like petroleum? I was told this, but I cannot find anything on Google. No other fish have Died, any ideas? I live on the gulf coast in Corpus Christi, and some of the saltwater species produce slicks that smell like watermelon, so I don't want to rule it out, but the petroleum smell concerns me. Gracias!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Never heard of such a thing. Are you seeing oil on your pond? If so, check your pumps to see if they are oil cooled. Some of the older pumps have been known to leak oil. I have 10 koi in one pond all over 18" and have never seen oil.

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up, sounded funny to me. I did however remove a pump that was given to me. It looks like it might be the corporate... also, I think I might be developing ich, see what looks to be "salt" like formations on a few of my fish, and noticed that a few of my fish were "flashing" last night. Gonna take water to be tested today. Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
I found my oil leak problem which is coming from my waterfall pump, need more rubber gaskets.

2 Questions,

1. Could the oil slick cause the fish skin to irritate and cause the flashing?

(I did notice a few white "spots" on my koi, so I started an ich treatment just in case. I also noticed a comet small growth or wound on its side. I added some other gill and open wound treatment this morn. I also did a water test this morning with test strips and all my #'s are off. Going to get water tested at a pet store today.)

So there are a few variables at this point, will try to have more answers today.

2. I am getting ready to set up my 2nd pond and have other pumps that needs parts, is there a site that has parts for all pumps?

I did a water test this morning with test strips and all my #'s are off. Going to get water tested at a pet store today.

Reaction score
The oil very well could be an iritant to the fish. Any kind of irritant like that could cause flashing. It is important to try and get the slick out of there. I do not have any suggestions except for trying to corral it and soak up with some type of cloth or towel.

If you can post a picture of the comet with the sore/growth and what you are seeing on the other Koi that would help in diagnosis. Comets many times will get a tumor growth on the skin. I have 2 with it and have talked to a few others with the same thing.

Keep us posted and pics would be a great help.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can also use the batting as it is working great for my cloudy water and all I do is take it once in a while and wring it out .Quilt batting works great

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Pondaholic- Layer the top of your pond with newspaper. The oil will stick to it and then you can just lift it off.You may have to do several batches.

Reaction score
Update!... good news!

All fish are still fine, including my little, ones... the oil was coming from an old pump and all my levels are fine, I did notice this morning that my big boys scales along the side appeared to be irritated. So either parasites, ich. I am no expert, but I think they were irritated from the oil. Added a carbon filter to get rid of the remaining oil, but all the slick appears to be gone). Also added pond salt to kill any critters if in fact that is it. Slowed the u/v pump to circulate more water around the bulb. The koi irritation appears to be slightly better, and although flashing is still occurring tonight, it appears to be less. Will keep u posted. Please give ideas if I'm missing anything. Thanks guys!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
find a automotive shop or someone that works on machinery. find what is called OIL absorbent pads. You could probably talk someone that has them out of 4-5 for just a little if no cost. these pads are made of 100% plastic, Always white and look like a rough piece of cloth. This is the same product they use to clean the oil spills in the gulf during the BP oilspill. I would rinse with water before using to remove anything that may have come in contact with them, Be sure and get a few from the center of the bundle as they have had less airborne contacts. Only use unused ones in your pond but you can use one pad for doing most of your pond. Simply place on water surface and one pad will remove aprox, 1 quart of oil so just one or two will be plenty.
As for the irritant, It can and sounds like it can be from the oil plus have you noticed a tingling sensation when you touched the water? You could have had voltage leakage from a wet pump. this can cause the skin and scales to be very irritated also. Water changes will do far more good than any medication at this point. Charcoal may also help but I would not fully rely on just it to remove the oils, BTW it isn't gone, it's clustered to the liner and the bases of your plants, be sure and take a piece of that absorbent pad and wipe all the edges of your pond where the liner and water come in contact with. this will help remove that invisible oil deposit.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
sissy said:
you can also use the batting as it is working great for my cloudy water and all I do is take it once in a while and wring it out .Quilt batting works great

This product (quilt batting) also works very well, It's made of polyester fibers which are basically blown plastic threads. The plastic which BTW is made from a Oil by product is the oil absorbant. But once used to remove the oil it should not be reused as the oils will breakdown back into the water and slowly toxin the fish.
Example if used to remove a toxin don't reuse it as a filter media. although new batting can be used although it clogs very fast, TOO many fibers to close together for a good bacteria bedding, but great water polisher.

Reaction score
I appreciate all input. Fish are fine, they are all eating and very active. Finishing a 24 hr ich treatment and will do a 50% water change this this evening.. Thanks from The City by the Sea!

Ask a Question