koiguys 55 gallon bio filter (skippy style)

Reaction score
can I see a pic of the filter pads?
part numbers too if you can (if available at HD or Lowes)
thank you so much for this write up...I just picked up 7 55gl drums from a guy on CL the other day and want to start building my first one this next month!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
no its like floor matala pads, scrubber pads or scrubbies...same open flow design..

WOE.. how the heck did i screw that up so bad?.... It should read matala, floor scrubber,or scrubby pads..(for dishes, and cleaning)
madcatz: go to the "my 70 gallon skippy filter" thread on this same forum, theres a big discussion on medias with pix...

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Go with the cut tubes, they will never clogg, never rot, never need replacment, never fail for any reason and they are re-usable for other filters. They are as bulletproof as you can get. They will be around and working long after you are pushing daiseys.

Reaction score
What is a cut tube? You mean PVC scraps? It seems to me that the scrubbies would eventually clog, just by virtue of the bacteria itself growing and dieing, regrowing etc. They do however offer the most surface area for the buck though. We get cases of the 3m pads 6 x 9 for 11 bucks 60ct. heck all most anything would work, including the plastic caps of of coke bottles etc.

Reaction score
madcatz I am not sure if your asking koiguy or myself but floor buffer pads can be bought at alot of places, but I am not sure if lowes or home depot carry them....maybe. You will want the outside diameter of the pad to match the inside diameter of your barrel and a section of your downspout to be 3" thin wall PVC for a perfect fit. Use the stipper pads (black) for the first stage and if you like you can add some red or white (or both) for finer filtration.

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/98/CLID/1297/3M_Floor_Buffing_Pads.htm

I just used this link to show you what they look like. I suggest fleabay or go to any local equipment rental place and buy them individually. They will cost you $5.00 to $8.00 ea in quantity or $11.00 individually.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The cut tubes are 1/2" irrigation tubing that is very inexpensive. You get the outside and inside area for the anerobic bacteria to grow and work for you. Because they are large, the possibility of clogging is impossible. I use 7000 of them in a 55 gallon drum and they are cut to 1 1/2' long. I used a paper shear and it took about 2 hours to cut them all. They will last forever and when you flush, everything but the anerobic bacteria is evacuated.

Another idea is the shipping strap and also the PVC shavings that will never decay or become clogged or saturated. The Professional fish aquariums here in So. Cal all use this type since it is the cheapist and best media.

The Skippy system works fine, it just does not afford the same benefits in the long run. It is also more expensive to start.

Reaction score
Ok got it. I see your point but the downside of not ever becoming clogged is that while it's doing a good job of hosting beneficial bacteria they are not providing any filtration of the particulate matter. It would appear that the cut tubing would perform simular to the better bio-balls.

This is why I opted for the filter pads on a slight variation of Koiguys design. I understand that they will need to be cleaned, but as lond as I am using 4 or more and only cleaning one at a time (the first in the chain) I should always have sufficeint bacteria. This way I can eliminate the occasional use of quilt batting to polish my water.

I looked at the bio-twist material Koikeeper mentioned and it seemed awfully expensive for what it appeared to be. I could make the same material with a piece of flat stock plastic and a good pair of sheet metal shears (electric) in a matter of several minutes.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i have been using the furnace filters on the bottom layer and scrubbies above for 1&1/2 years nonstop with no clogging . failure or problems so i will stick with what i know to perform well. i have never tried the tubing so cant voice an opinion on it... maybe mine dont clog for the simple reason of my using 1&1/2" pipe slowing the waters flow enough to let it settle faster. but most any plastic will work. who knows in a 55 gal drum i may need to swap media..but it sure works in the stocktank.

Reaction score
what pumps are you using?
Im trying to get all this together and im comming up with a few ideas, but at a loss to what pump to use

I saw you listed 1200gph flow..Do I need a pre filter at the pump then have the rest of the water go through the barrel?

Im sorry Im junking this up with noob questions....its probably been answered before

Reaction score
this is a quick MS paint.

where would I put the pump for the 55 gallon filter?
Would it be best for me to go from pond to pump to barrel to waterwall, or keep the waterfall on its own pump?

Reaction score
pondmockup.jpg

finally 5th post

apologize, I forgot to add flow arrows.
from the right side of the pond will be my inlet to the barrel, and from the barrel straight up to the pond will be the exit back to the pond

Reaction score
Is that a saltwater powerhead or a sump? Your flow would work just fine or you could go from the filter to the water fall. How many GPH is your pump rated for and what is the head Height? I am using a 3000 GPH pump with about 3 feet of head height, but I am forcing the water threw alot of media effectively slowing the pump done considerably. I beleive you want to achieve re-circulation of the total pond volume at least twice per hour.

Reaction score
IIRC the old saltwater Powerhead was 400 g/h
An old Mag3 so 300-400 but its a small guy
its only feeding the waterfall....the 55 gallon barrel I want to run an independent pump for and it is not hooked up yet....I am filterless at the moment, just the powerhead filter

Reaction score
I dunno you can try but I don't think the powerhead will be able to generate enough oomph to push the water up through the filter media and back into the pond at any significant head hieght.

Reaction score
oh Im sorry, I dont think I was clear enough.
That powerhead will NOT be used, except maybe to pull water from the barrel now to the waterfall, not from in the pond. I need to know where to place a pump for the barrel only....if inline outside of the pond, or in the pond itself

Ask a Question