koiguys 55 gallon bio filter (skippy style)

Reaction score
You could use either and if you plumbed from the filter to the waterfall would not need the power head and could use it for a water feature.

Reaction score
i really want a biofilter, what can i do about making a mini one since my pond is not nearly as big as your

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
oh! I guess i should have mentioned that..I used the hardware fencing i used for my floating planter rings i made to keep my koi from eating the roots off my hiacynths and lettuce and killing them; but usually people use the light diffuser grids for flourecent lights...you find them in the ceiling tile section at Lowes or Homedepot. i got the fencing at Lowes about $8.00 for 3'x15' if i remember right.

Koiguy this fencing is it the stuff thats wire covered in plastic ? ive looked online for hardware fencing and it comes up with nothing ...could it be known by another name here in the uk ?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
What filter? Are you talking about the subject filter. I didn't see any posts from you on what you are using.

Reaction score
yes the subject filter
i fallowed koiguys design almost exact design and i couldn't be happier with it.
what has been an absolute burden to keep my pond clean is now a pleasure to finally enjoy.
great design

PS3

Reaction score
i tested my filter today and it was leaking at the bottom drain
should i patch the leak or just re-seal the whole thing
i cant tell if the drian is flush like the top.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but it is the best place to ask this.

Did you run it with and without the airstones to see if they made a difference ?

Do the bubbles tend to combine as they move up through the media ?

Nice work.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
HTH... no i never measured the difference in O2 levels with and without. but i no longer use that air setup. i use venturied air. this venturi costs alittle over a $1.00 to make and adds nothing in electrical costs to operate....heres a video of the venturi in action. sorry my camera films so dark. doesnt allow for the greatest videos but you get the idea... theres a thread on the build of this type venturi in this section. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/6797-diy-simple-venturi-t-style/?hl=simple+venturi
if your interested.it has a video on the assembly. i shouid have made a video with my 2150gph pump... shoots bubbles across the length of the pond.

sorry for the lousey video... cheap camera.. not enough light.. me trying to use camera, and hold / move venturi. cant see exactly what i'm filming.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Good idea on the venturi. I was looking at a quick way to get a bit more biological action out of my barrel filter as it can not quite keep up with the current fish load. By Monday I should be able to reduce the load to where it should be OK.

How many GPH do you flow through your barrel filter?

Ask a Question