Kudos to Addy :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We built a new bog this Spring, bigger and better, I hope. I ordered some plants online and Addy sent me some. Well, the ones online are all but dead, but Addy's are going strong. Thanks Addy for the plants :blueflower:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well thanks, so glad to hear they did well! I don't always know if what I send makes it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Can't remember all of them, but I know a few ... Cardinal, marigold and pennywort. I don't know if it was the plants or they didn't like my new bog. I do want to try the cardinal again. Might get it from a different place or off of someone who has some.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The bog is in full sun all summer. I didn't think I would have any problems, but I do have quite a bit of hair algae in the bog, I'm constantly pulling it out.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pennywort grows like a weed, in my stream ponds, sort of grows in the big pond. I don't think there is enough nutrients for it. I have not put any into the pond bog.
Cardinal plant, I had two, in reading up on them they don't like the real wet of the pond bog. I put some in my land bog, carnivorous plant bog, they are doing great now. Marigold, I had, but think the other plants over took it, one year just gone.

The only time I have algae in the bog is early spring, any wet sunny areas get some slimy green stuff, it goes away as the plants grow, no hair algae.

My pond and bog are full full hot sun, south slope. Sunrise to sunset, very little break in the amount of sun hitting it. The apple trees give a tiny amount of shade for a brief period during the day, late day. The maple tree give a tiny bit of shade to the bog as the sun migrates around.

If you want some more penny wort to try again I can send you some.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'll get back with you next spring on the plants. That hair algae I have this year is really weird. I can understand it being in the open parts of the bog, but my pond was literally surface covered with lily pads and still had it on the sides. My Bio filter is in complete shade and the stuff just hangs off the weir. I still think it was our weirs weather this year. Hopefully next year will be better. This is the first year I've had an algae problem.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just remember to, I won't lol. Spring is the best time, they are small just starting to grow.

The first summer of my pond, it had some string on the north side, where the sun really hit the liner. Since the bog has been growing so well no string has survived in the big pond. I toss some in now and then for the fish to eat it up. My preforms get some string, very low flow, nutrient rich water and warm = string. I don't worry about it in those ponds the tads, snails, dragon fly larvae love it. Those ponds are fishless unless a egg or a fry manages to make it into them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I will remember next spring. My bog is kind of bare. I was hoping for full and lush greenery in the bog this year, but it ended up being more of a bird bath.... lol We dug up the yard behind the bog and made a patio, so the pond didn't get a whole lot of attention, maybe that contributed to the algae. I don't even remember doing a water change .. lol I do know that I fed them every day and topped off. This is a pic from this morning, your plants are doing well.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Okie remember water willow, blue4getmenot, pickerel, lizard tail, penny wort, some creeping jenny. They all stay shorter than obedience plant and the marsh betony. Make that your short list, if all survives whatever winter brings those would do good in your bog.

Very nice looking btw.

Ask a Question