L.E.D. transfomation.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
When they said CFL's were the best thing ever I thought they were full of :poop:. So I stuck with my halogens. Now, LED comes in different kelvins and wattage's with dimmable feature too. I've changed out the entire house over saving close to 1000 watts and reducing heat output.
This used to be 450w, now just under 70.
003.JPG

The wife likes the whiter light for the bath, I'm getting used to it. Before was 360w of halo's. Now 48w LED.
004.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did that also ,but every time I save electricity they raise the rates .New energy efficient appliances also help.My new fridge has LEDS and it is amazing how bright they are with out heating up the fridge .I connected my whole house to my utility company so if anything starts using more electricity than it should I can see it .Took me hours to list every thing but well worth the time .I was looking at my pond pumps and funny but they are using less electricity with the cooler water than they did with the warmer water .the 2900 gph is using 60 watts and the 2400 gph is using 35 watts.I think I really love these laguna pumps being able to use less electricity .I hear the next generation ones are even better .I guess since the water is cooler the pumps run cooler ,not sure but I like that .Trying to get my honey do list done and checking my energy use was one I needed to get done .

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Wife liked it, so did I. We got an LED tree lamp. 360 lights, 24 watts. She used to like the 'torchiere' style floor lamps, but 500w of halo is too much.
003.JPG

Reaction score
I have been dabbling in the LED change over. Just did a couple lights, man they are bright. I am really looking into the tube fluorescent fixtures in garage, basement and barn. You can buy tubes now that just swap in even with a ballast or other tubes that require you to re-wire, but if ballast is burnt out anyway, easy to do.
I just bought a kit from ebay with the light strip and remote controller. We are building a new reptile enclosure for my son's snake collection, he will be able to dim and change colors, glad it doesn't bother the snakes.

There are some places offering people to upgrade to LED' or a few yrs ago to the compact fluorescents so "save energy". Then while we are saving energy, their revenues drop and so they raise prices.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
When we bought our house in 2008 it came with all CFLs in every fixture. Not knowing about CFLs when we first moved in I thought there was an issue with the electrical wiring. I would flip a switch and nothing happened, then they would slowly come on, flickering the whole time. Once they were all the way on the lighting was horrible. Didn't take me long to hate them. I replaced all the lights in the house with good old fashion incandescent within a month of living here and bought a stock pile of extra bulbs since they were "outlawed" at the time.

Then about a year ago I started looking into the LEDs. Put LED flood lights in the recessed lighting in the new bedroom last year and loved the light and how they don't put off the heat a normal recessed light does.

We have a lot of extra incandescent bulbs still but once they are gone our lights will be replaced with LEDs as they burn out. Also hoping as time goes on and we are using up the last of our incandescent bulbs, the price of LEDs will go down.

Reaction score
We have actually bought up a supply of good ole incandescent bulb, they are good heat lamps on the small reptile enclosures. I am now switching to heat tapes and thermostats though.

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I want to try the LED "fluorescent tubes" in the garage, I just found out about them a few weeks ago. All of my xmas lights are LED now, better colors for sure. I also have stock of incandescents but don't think I'll use them, I really like the LED lighting. AAAnnddd I'm converting my outdoor low voltage lights to LED I've got the lights, but going to wait till it warms up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We did out our entire lighting with LED lights and spots saving one hell of alot in wattage that was about 2 years ago now amazingly the price has dropped to around £5.00 UKP per spot and light, down from from £9.99 UKP per spot and light in that time , Osram is the make of them
Welcome to the LED club Peter :LOL:
A word of warning though Peter be sure you know where you are getting them from as there are alot of dodgy and dangerous ones out there copied by Chinese criminals , they have been proven to be very hazzardous to home and life so be careful

Dave

Last edited:

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Yea, my parents bought some GU10 LEDs online and they've been burning out in a matter of weeks.(n). I've yet to loose a bulb.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm not yet ready to go whole hog on LED's just yet.
The technology is advancing quite rapidly and the expense is coming down.
They're great for trying out here and there for now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
As some-one who works in the lighting industry, can I please suggest you exercise extreme care with fluorescent LED tubes. Most on the market require you to remove the fluorescent control gear and wire the mains supply directly to the lamp holders, which is incredibly dangerous.

The lampholders are not designed to take mains and can overheat. Fires have been caused by overheating lampholders. The UK Lighting Industry trade organisation warns against the use of LED tubes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
A bit of a North American translation for "mains" terminology from the UK is "full breaker panel power" in North America.
Correct me if I'm wrong, CeejayH.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yea, my parents bought some GU10 LEDs online and they've been burning out in a matter of weeks.(n). I've yet to loose a bulb.
The ones your parents are getting more than probably are the Chinese fakes they are dangerous and can cause fires , I'd get your parents to contact who's site they bought them from i;e Amazon US Craigs list etc and report them , there was a program about them here in the UK only a few months ago whilst testing these Chinese fakes they had a number burst into flames and found others that will electricute the buyer if touched .
So you could say they are very dangerous .
The latest electrics scare was about the hoverboards that came out just before Christmas they were acctually exploding whilst being charged or bursting into flames .
So not all these bargins are bargins they can indeed be deadly

Dave

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
They're great compared to the Edison bulb. I changed my whole house over to LED last year, indoor and outdoor. All the spots, even the pond is now LED. The bulbs on my stove exhaust had halogen MR16's. I found MR16's in LED which are really small..
So, I'm cutting back by thousands of watts and most important, keeps the footprint down by using less electric. Of course, the capitalists get richer too ...lol ... Se la vie ....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeavyMetalPeach

Latest Threads