Large Koi was stuck in skimmer box

Reaction score
Country
United States
i just put in this new pond because I was able to pick up 6 large koi from someone wanting to rehome them. I have three small ponds with small koi and gold fish but new to this large pond and large koi. My biggest koi went in to the skimmer box tonight and luckily my husband saw him when he took the dog out. This happened about 9:45 pm. He was struggling to stay up right and I have spent the last 3 hours with him keeping him up right and getting him moving. It seems to have worked and he is now swimming around. The guestion is he lost some scales and is banged up. What should I do about that? Does he need some sort of treatment?
Thank you in advance for any help.
IMG_0891.JPG
IMG_0892.JPG
IMG_0893.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm sorry this happened. When my koi have lost scales, due to spawning, I just make sure the pond water is clean and the fish heal on their own.

There are lots of simple DIY skimmer guards on the internet. I made the simplest, using a 1/2 inch PVC pipe, cutting it a tad wider then the skimmer and positioning it in the weir. It allows water and leaves to flow over it, small koi can still swim in and out, but large koi, can not swim into the skimmer.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry and number one reason I don't like skimmers .I seen a few of these on youtube about skimmers

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi, welcome to the group, and sorry about your fish!

Like @Tula said, if the water quality is good, the fish will heal on it's own...I'm just hoping it was in the skimmer looking for a place to hide, and did not end up in there because it's not well

Ask a Question