Large koi distressed after being stuck in skimmer box

Discussion in 'Illness and Disease' started by Beckie, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Beckie

Beckie

Help! Found two of my koi fish stuck in the skimmer box...the runt was underneath one of my biggest fish. I pulled both out, the runt seems fine, the biggest one is struggling. Curled up, tried to swim. No injuries or disease that I can see, must have just gone into the box for food and got stuck.

I'm adding a spray of well water that's treated with salt to put more oxygen in the water and some salt...

Well established pond, never had problems before.

Trying to keep it moving without injuring it. What can I do? Thank you so much...

Beckie, Aug 20, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Beckie

Beckie

IMG_20170820_125453.jpg

Beckie, Aug 20, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Beckie

Beckie

IMG_20170820_125525.jpg

Beckie, Aug 20, 2017
  4. Beckie

Beckie

The water is all churned up from trying to save it :(

Beckie, Aug 20, 2017
  5. Beckie

IPA

63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
    You have to keep water, and oxygen, moving past its gills. If it not move enough on its own, gently hold it on its sides and gently move it back and forth in the water, about as fast back and forth as a slow swim.

IPA, Aug 20, 2017
    Beckie likes this.
  6. Beckie

Beckie

Thank you...I'll keep doing that, my sister who also had a koi pond was successful with that once, but the only other time I had a fish stuck it didn't work...probably way too late. Hoping I found this one sooner. It's on the bottom, but still moving.

I'm trying to get it closer to the surface so I can keep moving it. My pond is four feet deep.

Beckie, Aug 20, 2017
  7. Beckie

Beckie

I've been using a net...let me try getting it to the side where I can use my hands.

Beckie, Aug 20, 2017
  8. Beckie

IPA

Don't over stress it either. I am sure some experts will chime in as they read this but offering what I can as it's critically time sensitive.

IPA, Aug 20, 2017
  9. Beckie

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

@IPA 's suggestion is good, but only if the fish responds to this therapy fairly quickly. The fish is obviously showing the effects of massive stress. To be honest, it may or may not recover. Do you have any idea of how long the fish was in the skimmer?

Meyer Jordan, Aug 20, 2017
    MitchM and Beckie like this.
  10. Beckie

Beckie

I have no idea. The runt was under it and is fine. I'm still swimming the big one back and forth. It seems to be getting stronger.

Beckie, Aug 20, 2017
  11. Beckie

Beckie

IMG_20170820_141006.jpg

Beckie, Aug 20, 2017
  12. Beckie

Beckie

It seemed to keep getting stronger, but still isn't able to swim on its own. Then I ended up with a handful of scales. :) As I was walking away in defeat I crossed paths with a black snake...that slithered right over my foot. (Don't worry, I leave them alone as they're beneficial...it was just the icing on the cake..and yes, I screamed).

Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions. I've had my fish for years and years...
    hate seeing this, but stuff happens. :(

Beckie, Aug 20, 2017
    MitchM likes this.
  13. Beckie

Nyboy

If i had a snake slither across my foot, I would need a change of clothes !!! Good luck with your fish.

Nyboy, Aug 20, 2017
    Beckie likes this.
  14. Beckie

Beckie

I did a snake dance of sorts while screaming...surprised I didn't need require a clothing change. And thank you...I had to come inside...and let nature take its course.

Beckie, Aug 20, 2017
  15. Beckie

DutchMuch Lord Of The Aquascapes!

Im thinking... Somehow he broke his spine, does he not stay straight? King Of DIY had this same issue not to long ago with his Arrowana. Which is about the same size as this koi.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    DutchMuch, Aug 21, 2017
    Beckie likes this.
  16. Beckie

IPA

Sorry to hear but you did all you could.

IPA, Aug 21, 2017
    Beckie and DutchMuch like this.
  17. Beckie

Tula

It's easy to make a DIY skimmer guard with PVC. Mine is the simplest design of all......I cut 1/2 inch PVC, just a tad longer then the width of the skimmer opening and jiggled it in. It allows the water to pass over it and smaller fish could get in ( but they can swim out ) but larger fish can not get into the skimmer.

From the picture, it looks like it's spine is crooked....was it that way before? Perhaps it's the angle of the picture.

Tula, Aug 21, 2017
    Beckie likes this.
  18. Beckie

Mmathis TurtleMommy

One thing to consider is that the koi may have already been ill or injured and as a result, ended up in the skimmer -- instead of the other way around. I hope it does OK. Pretty fish!

Mmathis, Aug 21, 2017
    Tula, Meyer Jordan and Beckie like this.
  19. Beckie

Beckie

I just saw that several people commented, my apologies for not answering sooner. The only injuries I saw we're scraped scales, most likely from trying to get out of the box. My husband had fed them the night before and I think they went in the box looking for more food. A little koi was stuck under the big one...that one is fine. I think the big one stayed bent, that's the way I found him, and was so far gone he wouldn't straighten out that much.

I helped him swim for over an hour and he seemed to be doing better, to the point where he was trying to swim on his own. He didn't make it, though. :(

I've had my fish for over 10 years, this is only the second time I've lost one from getting stuck in the box. One other time I got one out soon after he was stuck and he was fine.

Thanks so much for all the comments.

Beckie, Aug 22, 2017
  20. Beckie

IPA

He was a beautiful fish. I'm thinking he may have broken his spine or injured so baby even though He was breathing but just couldn't swim. I thought this was pretty ingenious.

IPA, Aug 22, 2017
    Beckie likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question