Will my large koi eat 2-3" babies?

Reaction score
Pond setting: We have a large 6,000 gal. Koi pond with a bog that serves as the middle ground between the pump house and the pond. The water comes from the filtration into the bog and over a falls into the pond.
Question: My koi often spawn in the late spring and the eggs go through the filtration system and end up in the bog where we often get 10-30 young koi babies. Well this year was one of those years and we noticed the 2-3" fish this weekend so we caught at least 20 in our net and placed them into the large 6,000 pond. Now, we can't find them, not one. And many were very bright with great colors. Our pond has no plants and is very clear. So where did they go? We have never seen the older koi eat babies in the past when we have placed babies from the bog to the pond.

Any thoughts? Would our older koi eat these babies?
I can only hope that they are really good at hide 'n seek, but I'm doubting all 20 are that good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Pond setting: We have a large 6,000 gal. Koi pond with a bog that serves as the middle ground between the pump house and the pond. The water comes from the filtration into the bog and over a falls into the pond.
Question: My koi often spawn in the late spring and the eggs go through the filtration system and end up in the bog where we often get 10-30 young koi babies. Well this year was one of those years and we noticed the 2-3" fish this weekend so we caught at least 20 in our net and placed them into the large 6,000 pond. Now, we can't find them, not one. And many were very bright with great colors. Our pond has no plants and is very clear. So where did they go? We have never seen the older koi eat babies in the past when we have placed babies from the bog to the pond.

Any thoughts? Would our older koi eat these babies?
I can only hope that they are really good at hide 'n seek, but I'm doubting all 20 are that good.

The simple answer to your question is no the wont get eaten at that size infact after an 1"1/2 they are safe

Dave

Reaction score
Dave,

I agree with your simple answer. Here's a harder question: where are the babies? LOL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Babies are in fact VERY good hiders! We had some that hid so well we didn't see any sign of them until the following summer! So I wouldn't discount the fact that your babies could all be hiding until they feel comfortable coming out with the big guys.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
babies will seek a fold in the liner, any crevis they can find to hide in until they get comfortable. In most case once fry reach 1"-1.5" they are safe to put with large koi. Go out at night and look with a light, you should be able to find them then.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave,

I agree with your simple answer. Here's a harder question: where are the babies? LOL
They are being sensible ad hiding out till they grow big enough which is good the slow ones end up as a snack for the adults, its survival of the fittest :LOL:

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question