Large white patches on my goldfish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
most of my pond goldfish have gradually developed large white patches all over thier bodies, they otherwise seem healthy. Anyone have any ideas what this could be? Also my koi in the same pond have multiple black spots over thier bodies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Have you check your water? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH level?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Coul you please post some photo's to show us what your up against, please make sure the shots are clear .
Your fish may well have a fungal issue going on here , how bad is it ?
Ask your local fish shop what they have in the way of antifungal remedies that yu can treat your fish with then follow the instructions on the bottle

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply, I could treat with anti fungal however I have done this previously with no effect. I will try to post some photo,s but this may be difficult.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Are they white waxy spots like someone has poured candle wax over your fish , if so then that is fish pox which the fish will grow out of over the bext few years and normally appears at below 10c and disapears again above 15c.
If its fluffy and white in appearance then that is definately fungus

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are they white waxy spots like someone has poured candle wax over your fish , if so then that is fish pox which the fish will grow out of over the bext few years and normally appears at below 10c and disapears again above 15c.
If its fluffy and white in appearance then that is definately fungus

Dave
It's not fluffy, but doesn't really look fluffy either. I will try to post photo,s.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 595
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 591
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 613
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 584
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 614
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Do you mean the goldfish with the large white patches if you do from here it looks like a natural pigmentation change in your goldfish and if thats the case you have nothing to worry about .
Can you get the fish in question into a tank and take a few photo's just to be sure

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply, I hope your right that is natural pigmentation and will try to catch the offending fish and get closer pictures, could you advise on the black spots that are present on some of the other fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply, I hope your right that is natural pigmentation and will try to catch the offending fish and get closer pictures, could you advise on the black spots that are present on some of the other fish.
Michelle those black spots are what are known as sumi in the koi world [red=HI, Black=sumi] again they are totally natural .
Goldfish tend to change colour throghout their lives it depends on genes as to whether the fish wil stay one colour orange for goldfish isnt acctually its colour they are a drab brown its only through breading certain mutations in the fish that they are the colour they are be that orange black and orange oange and white .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I might also suggest giving the bottom of the pond a good sprucing up for the summer months the same goes for your filters .
I did mine over a two week period leaving me a fully mature jap matting filter at any one time plus the k1 filter.
I also added some cloverleaf to rid me of the green water we for the first time ever this year due to the lack of shade at the moment .
I also spruce up the filtration mid to late summer and lastly in late autumn ready to take us through next winter time .

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I might also suggest giving the bottom of the pond a good sprucing up for the summer months the same goes for your filters .
I did mine over a two week period leaving me a fully mature jap matting filter at any one time plus the k1 filter.
I also added some cloverleaf to rid me of the green water we for the first time ever this year due to the lack of shade at the moment .
I also spruce up the filtration mid to late summer and lastly in late autumn ready to take us through next winter time .

Dave
How would you recommend I clean the pond? I clean my bioforce 12000 pressurised filter regularly already and use blanket weed treatment regularly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The best way is to buy a pond Vac and give the pond a once over twice a year late spring mid autmn OAse or any of those companies have them or you ould go to a koi dealership .
The other way and a much more messy way would b to net the detritus out

Dave

Ask a Question