How to catch largemouth bass

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have bass but want to give them to someone so I can convert the pond to koi and colorful sunfish if they're peaceful and can coexist with the koi. My pond is 6' deep and I usually can't see my fish much less catch them . I want to get a kiddie fishing rod and try to fish the bass out, but I don't know anything about fishing.. Please help me with some hints on how to selectively catch / fish out largemouth bass. I think they're under 8" long. Thank you
Maria

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Barbless hook and really just about anything that resembles food the bass eat. If you don’t have barbless hooks, just crimp the barb down on a regular hook. It is how I move fish from pond to pond at my house.

What else is in there with them? If nothing just use earthworms, otherwise rubber worms or some type of shad like rubber minnow ie ( bass assassin lures). Will get them to strike.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank you both so much for these great ideas. I am still at the drawing board on this so I am researching both. I really think I'd like to drag the pond with a seine Mmathis, so I can see everything that's in there and sort them out all at once. But part of me is lazy and may just sit down with a fishing rod. I'll keep you updated on how it goes either way . Thank you both so much .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I had bluegill , red breasted sunfish, a grass carp, big koi and minnows all in there. I have seen a school of red breasted sunfish and saw the ;powerful largest koi splashing around recently. My 1 grass carp got caught in the protective cover net and died. I last saw a bass last Summer and it was just over 6". I want to keep ornamental fish and just don't want the bass eating them . I recently put some 7 or 8" koi and one 12" koi in there along with the grass carp and want to check on them. For that, I may get a seine... and also to make sure I take out every single largemouth bass.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@lunven Tell us again,
  • how many gallons is your pond?
  • How many koi do you have and how big is each one?
  • How many other fish species do you have and how big are they? (Sorry, but I have no concept as to the size of a bluegill or a sunfish, but am familiar with LM bass)
  • What is your filtration?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
  • how many gallons is your pond?
9000 gallons
  • How many koi do you have and how big is each one?
3 koi. one about 12" two about 6/7"?

• How many other fish species do you have and how big are they? (Sorry, but I have no concept as to the size of a bluegill or a sunfish, but am familiar with LM bass)
I am not sure how many of these survived or exactly what sizes they are now . The seine will help with that .

• What is your filtration?
I have a 50 gallon tote skimmer /filter and a 4" diameter airlift tube that has pre filtration and post filtration . See my DIY thread, https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/diy-skimmer-filter.23682/ I want to add an additional external trash can filter to improve the water quality . I plan to do about a 50% water change this week along with scooping out some leaves that are in the bottom. It is a work in progress . What kind of filtration do you use?

Ask a Question