Las Vegas 1000 gallon pond and heater???

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know what you are saying...

Geeze. I thought reptiles were hard. I've kept some large monitor lizard species. I'm talking dog sized lizards.

But this new pond is proving to be more of a challange

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
As a guppy owner, I suggest you set up a 10 gallon tank and bring them in. Probably should bring the mollies in too. Set up a HOB ( hang on back) filter, fill it with pond water, add fish, maybe some plants, and enjoy winter. You’ll see a population increase, and get to move them out next spring when water temps are over 60. A normal temp room will keep the aquarium water a good temp for them, but if you really do want the population to increase while inside, add a small aquarium heater, plenty of plants and decorations, do 20% weekly water changes, and watch for your females to get big.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It’s not letting me add pictures from my photo library. I put 20ish in a 100 gallon outdoor mini pond and mostly ignored them all summer, ended up with over 200. Had a teacup filled with fry by the end. I now have a thread on building an indoor pond just for them, with a mini bog filter, hopefully I’ll be able to add the males at least next week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 116

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Killemall Just out of curiosity, have you searched online to see what acceptable water temps (ranges) are for guppies/mollies? That would give you an idea of what you have to shoot for. I have a FB friend who lives in Las Vegas. I’ll ask her what her pond‘s water temps do in the winter. I have to agree with the others about taking your tropicals inside during winter. “Heating” an outside pond just doesn’t seem feasible. There is a difference between “heating” and “keeping an open hole in the ice.”

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the lowest possible is 55 degrees from what I've read. With 60 entering the danger zone.

My goal is to be 70 degrees if possible.

I still have 45 days before it will start getting into the 60s at night here in vegas.

Still currently hitting 100 degrees here in vegas.

I'll try a floating 300 watt deicer and use my temp gun to get an idea of the shallow area water temp where it will be.

If it's not doing the trick then I will bring them inside

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you. I will remember.

Can I assume that the top of the water is colder than the bottom?

I will be using temperture gun to measure water temp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD - @Killemall is concerned about heating the pond for his guppies, not keeping ice off the pond.

@Killemall I'm guessing your assumption is the fish will stay where the water temp is higher. I don't know that that is necessarily true. Nor do I know enough about your pond to know if you can keep the water from mixing. Warmer water in a cold pond is at the bottom, not the top. Will the fish figure it out? Or will their instincts tell them to go lower? No clue! And remember, keeping a hole in the ice requires keeping a very small area of the surface of the water just above freezing. That's a different proposition than actually heating the whole pond.
Actually, Lisa, the warm water will remain at the top until 39 deg F, then as it lowers, the water temp will flip and the bottom of the pond now is warmer. Something to do with the density of water.

No one has brought this up, but even if said heater can keep your pond temps that high (which I strongly doubt; too much surface area and the ground itself will be sucking the heat from your pond walls), the electricity bill is going to be enormous. Seems the indoor scenario is much better, imo; you'd not be fighting Mother Nature as you seek to keep the water warm enough.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know what you are saying...

Geeze. I thought reptiles were hard. I've kept some large monitor lizard species. I'm talking dog sized lizards.

But this new pond is proving to be more of a challange
Of corse the pond is more work. Dog size lizards are easy throw a rabbit at them and there good for a couple days. One x wife will last for a good month

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thank you. I will remember.

Can I assume that the top of the water is colder than the bottom?

I will be using temperture gun to measure water temp

Your pond may not be deep enough to have any noticeable temp difference between top and bottom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Actually, Lisa, the warm water will remain at the top until 39 deg F, then as it lowers, the water temp will flip and the bottom of the pond now is warmer. Something to do with the density of water.

Ah! You're correct! I have to remember this is not a NORTHERN pond!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd prefer an in water heater and uncovered if its doable.

I have 12 beautiful guppies and I'd like to keep them alive. 2 mollies.

All about the guppies
Hum...I am not sure if you are serious or joshing us. Really. If it is "All about the guppies" then exposing them to near freezing temperatures is certainly not good stewardship. It is cruel. A pond deicer as you describe above will most likely not begin to heat until the water is approximately 34-degrees. Your guppies will suffer and probably die. Waiting to see if the heater does the trick is too late if the water temperature is near freezing.

Ask a Question