Cracked plastic leaf basket

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
My 15 year old leaf basket has a crack I need to fix before it falls apart. The leaf basket and filter box manufacturer went out of business long ago so I can't get a replacement. What kind of 'glue' will work to hold it together - something that will hold up under water and be non-toxic to my fish.

Someone recommended Loctite Stik 'n Seal but it says not for water immersion applications.

Thank you.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You could look into the PL roofing goop that many of us use. It also says not for water use, either, but I know of no one who has ever had a problem with it.

Can you post a pic of the leaf basket?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Here's a photo. When looking straight at the basket, the crack is not visible, but it's at the top left corner, split about 1/2" down so far. Since the photo was taken, I've removed the brushes and frame that is shown next to the filter pad because the frame broke in pieces. I now place the filter pad in the leaf basket. Seems to be working. Is this the product you refer to: Loctite PL S30 Polyurethane Roof and Flashing Sealant

Thank you.

Note: I've tried to include a description of my pond in my profile but it limits the characters to about 50. I would love to have a larger pond to support more goldfish and plants, except the raccoons destroy what little I have.

Attachments

• Leaf basket.jpg
    Leaf basket.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 87
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
How about aquarium silicone sealant? It's the clear stuff they use to glue the aquarium glass together. It comes in a caulking type tube like regular silicone. Google it.

Clean it real good, let it dry before applying the sealant.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The marine goop works great too. Made to be under water fresh or salt water. Make sure to clean and dry it well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used the marine Goop, no issues with any fish. I had a pipe that would just not stop leaking so yanked off the pl stuff, my fav stuff and put on the goop. No more leak. Think we hit a bump when we drilled it in and the goop was just not sealing it well.

Ask a Question