last days of summer

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I tried an experiment this year with the hyacinth in that SUPPOSEDLY, they like to be confined.

That does seem to be part of the formula. However I find that mine will bloom if the roots can reach the "bottom" - so they like being in the pondless waterfall that's very shallow. This year I tossed some where they couldn't float away in a spot between some rocks - they loved it there, got really lush and green, and that's the one that bloomed. So that will be my strategy next year - find spots where they can almost become marginals. I just love the blooms - they're so pretty!

IMG_2547.jpeg

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
which is a LOT better for you as digging when it's 90 is just not the same as when the temps are in the 50-60s. Trust me, I've done both. Lost 15 pounds the first time I dug...
true true, but when it starts snowing......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That does seem to be part of the formula. However I find that mine will bloom if the roots can reach the "bottom" - so they like being in the pondless waterfall that's very shallow. This year I tossed some where they couldn't float away in a spot between some rocks - they loved it there, got really lush and green, and that's the one that bloomed. So that will be my strategy next year - find spots where they can almost become marginals. I just love the blooms - they're so pretty!

View attachment 134257
Lisa,

my hyacinth were so lush and green, they reached 2' tall WITHOUT blooms! They got so tall, I couldn't even see the bog behind, and its RAISED!. So, they can't ever say they didn't have it good! I'm probably going to start them in the pond but move them as they start reaching up; I'll try a pot and perhaps more fertilizer than just natural pond water. You'd think like most flowers, the more phosphorus they have, the more blooms. Perhaps I'll use an orchid fertilizer next year...

Your pic is great, btw, but MY hyacinth are snickering atcha. Not sure why...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My fish love the forest! They drop eggs on the plants and the other fish go into a frenzy eating them up. I watch them on the cams. I do yank some now and then, but always leave a nice amount for the winter. They eat off the plants all of the time.
I have been meaning to ask you how you got it to grow like that. I've seen your photos of it. It's indeed a forest! Did you just toss a whole bunch of it in there? Did you weight it down? Seems so natural and the fish must love it for several reasons.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
above 82 and I have to have the umbrella up and the fan blowing. Below 78 and I have to fetch a blanket.
lol I am out in tshirt and shorts down to about 50 (without wind blowing) anything above 85 I need to stay inside, it makes me physically ill, if doing physical work outside.

I have been meaning to ask you how you got it to grow like that. I've seen your photos of it. It's indeed a forest! Did you just toss a whole bunch of it in there? Did you weight it down? Seems so natural and the fish must love it for several reasons.
I bought a small bundle xx years ago, tossed it in, ignored it. First year looked like crap, second year a small forest now a large forest.
No I did not weigh it down, it is in the deepest part of my pond. 4-5 feet deep. it is also growing in my shallow ponds, I yank it now and then.

Ask a Question