last years fry

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have 1 fry that survived last year. He is now about 4 inches long. He is a bit of a loner. Has not once come up and eat food. So has been just eating algea etc. He does swim with the others at times or hangs around watching (me?) while I am feeding the others. But makes no effort to eat the fish food. Just kinda does his own thing foraging around the pond. I wonder if this is because he was the only fry from last year and spent most of his alone while he was little. When I get in the pond to groom the lilies he is not shy around me. Comes right up and nibbles on my leggs and stuff. Just thought he would be eating fish food with the others by now.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's interesting. The two I have pretty much hung out together, always away from the adults. Now I've seen them more and more around the adults, but they've been eating with the big ones since winter.

Maybe its just finding enough food that it hasn't been hungry enough to figure out when feeding time is. Maybe it'll eventually hang out with the others.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
That's interesting. The two I have pretty much hung out together, always away from the adults. Now I've seen them more and more around the adults, but they've been eating with the big ones since winter.

Maybe its just finding enough food that it hasn't been hungry enough to figure out when feeding time is. Maybe it'll eventually hang out with the others.
He seems to be hanging with them at times gradually a little more so I think eventually he will. Hope so anyway. I have one fancy who is so much slower than the others but he holds his own and hangs with the gang. Was going to buy him a buddy but he is so much bigger than any I see at the shops that I decided he would be fine. He thinks hes a comet. :)

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I just introduced my fish into the pond today, but I noticed that one of my fry from last year, the only one that is a butterfly koi, is very much a loner and spends most of his time under the edge of a rock while the others, including other fry, explore their new surroundings. It's very cool how fish can have such different personalities.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
He'll be OK. As soon as he's big enough he'll join the cool kids' table. Happens to my pond every season or so.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have to agree with John. As he/she gets bigger it will be fine. I have about 30 fry from last year and they do not join the pack at all. I see the little ones eating algae also but they never come to the top during feeding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My little guys are scrappy as all get out....they dart to the top when I feed the big guys! I'm starting to fret over how many are in there....seems like they're multiplying :) LOL

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I noticed the little shubbies I bought together a year ago seem to all hang out together a lot and seem to be more skittish then the rest of the fish. Their little mouths don't seem to be big enough yet to eat the bigger pellets either. They do alright on their own eating algae, bugs etc.tho and I see them pushing at the pellets so maybe they get a little nibble off them and they are getting bigger.

Ask a Question