lava rock

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have some lava rock that I want to add to my stock tank bio filter. I currently have a layer of lowes furnace filter on the bottom. (total of 5 filters I think) Then 3 medium floor buffing pads. A large laundry bag full of assorted scrubbies. I need to make a trip out of town to buy more furnace filters which I will cut up into squares to add additional bio material. I bought 2 bags of lava rock to add additional surface area for bio.
My question is do I put the lava rock in the middle of the layers? I do have quite a few plants on top of the skippy.

Reaction score
It doesn't matter. It's all the same to the bacteria. However, getting the rocks up out of the water and running the water over the rocks does allow for waste conversion about 30 times better than when the rocks are submerged.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Ok thanks waterbug. Easier they would be easier to get out that way too.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put lava rock on the bottom of my filter because it weighs more and will squish the furnace filters .It works better also to clean the muck out of the bottom of the tank .I have a grate to keep the lava rock off the bottom and then lava rock then furnace filters .I have a hose that goes in the bottom of my tank and I use a pump to suck out the built up muck in the bottom.I did not put in a drain because my tank sits inside a piece of liner that allows any over flow water to go back in the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Thanks Sissy, I thought you used lava rock in your filters. Never thought about it squishing the other filter media. I do have a drain on my skippy. Then a grate then my filter stuff, then another grate. Do you put your rock in laundry bags or no?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep put them in laundry bags .Easier if I do have to clean .I just use a pump to pump the gunk from the bottom .I have been using lava rock because it is cheap and my dad used it on our pond when I was growing up and figure it was good back then so it must be still good .To many knew things out there that they say works but really never does so I stay with tried and true ,plus i like cheap .You can tell on my posts everything I do has to be cheap when it comes to outdoors stuff .Inside not so much ,just buy what I feel works the best for me .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they sell them at lowes and i got mine at the lowes in Reidsville NC store .Store in VA does not sell them

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
good price for the pic of the one I posted is 7.95 unless you want to buy a case online at lowes and have it shipped .So compared to that on amazon that looks thicker I would go with what you bought

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
wow, I'm glad to hear! Yes it is pretty thick and sturdy :) I think one buy gave me a life time supply lol.

sissy said:
good price for the pic of the one I posted is 7.95 unless you want to buy a case online at lowes and have it shipped .So compared to that on amazon that looks thicker I would go with what you bought

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Looked at mine and it is about a half inch thick and you can see through it .The one that looks like it has white stuff on it is the finer stuff and maybe like quilt batting in picking up the finer stuff .But quilt batting at walmart for king size is about 8 dollars and last a long time .

Ask a Question