Leeches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi...While doing general maintenance, I've noticed there is loads of wildlife (nymphs, snails, even have some newts), but we've also got leeches, loads and loads of leeches. Is this normal or should I try and eradicate them and if so, how?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you don't plan on going in there then just leave them be, part of nature. But if you have fish in there then not sure if they are going to harm your fish or you. Maybe depends on what kind of leeches they are? Someone else may know more about them than me.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They are small but there are a lot of them. I am going to be going in as I need to finish off the top level stones and it's easier from inside the pond. I don't want to drain the pond completely (I was going to drain half and then refill with fresh), because of the wildlife. I do have fish but they all seem pretty healthy. I've got youngsters from last year.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very few leeches are blood sucking. Most eat small organisms in the pond and they tend to live in decomposing material at the bottom of the pond, so they are not a threat to people or fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you don't plan on going in there then just leave them be, part of nature. But if you have fish in there then not sure if they are going to harm your fish or you. Maybe depends on what kind of leeches they are? Someone else may know more about them than me.
If you don't see them on the fish or in there gills id say no harm but over all is probably make them go.
Drop a steak in the water I bet within 5 minutes it's got a good deal of the blood sucks on it .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I waded in a river over in Eastern Washington one summer and came out w/tiny leeches all over my legs. I just stood in water and brushed them off. No harm done!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks everyone. Nearly finished the pond...we started the dig in 2020 and only just getting there. Had some real problems along the way. Two massive pampas grass that we had to dig up and bamboo rampant in the garden which turned out to be why the old pond was leaking. Had to put in a French drain because of ground water issues and stumbled on a drainage pipe during the dig. Had to change plans for an intake bay. It's now beginning to look as I envisioned it and I've spent the day planting some more marginal and deep water plants and the bog filter is doing great.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will start a new thread, with pics. I've didn't take any while constructing (silly or what!), but I've got some of the old pond and I've got about a week's worth of work left before I'd consider it "finished", not that a pond is ever totally perfect, or completed. XX

Ask a Question