lessoned learned about UV filters

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
Finished building the pond and had a few Koi in and the green set in. Just couldn't wait for all the rights things to happen and wanted to see the Koi so bit the bullet and purchase an 80watt UV clarifier/sterilizer. It did a fantastic job at clearing out the green and water was crytal clear. A little more than a year and both lights burned out. Recently purchased new lights, installed, applied power and now I'm thinking both transformers are dead. I really wanted this unit as a sterilizer but at $95.00 a transformer I'm about to remove it from the system.
ugh.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yuck! that hurts.
My 55 gallon inside subunkin winter tank, over crowded, got the dreaded green water. I took a net bag, filled it with kitty litter, stuck it on top of my redneck lava rock bucket filter. Within a day the green water was crystal clear. Guess the green stuff did not like the kitty litter.

Reaction score
What brand UV clarifier/sterilizer is it? Did you contact the company? It sounds like you were running it 24/7, if you were, that is really unnecessary, you just need to run it until the pond clears and then shut it off until you you have a use for it again. Still, the transformers should have lasted longer than that. Do you know precisely when it stopped working?
I just recently bought a rechargeable drill that was dead on arrival, so I took it back to the store and got my money back. I guess the lesson learned was that sometimes products don't work or last as long as they should, I have a couple other rechargeable drills that have given me years of faithful service, but I fully expect one day they will stop working. I use rechargeable drills all the time at work and around home, they are useful tools, I won't be turned off using them because I bought one defective one.
So, what was the lesson YOU learned you learned about UV filters?

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
addy1 said:
Yuck! that hurts.
My 55 gallon inside subunkin winter tank, over crowded, got the dreaded green water. I took a net bag, filled it with kitty litter, stuck it on top of my redneck lava rock bucket filter. Within a day the green water was crystal clear. Guess the green stuff did not like the kitty litter.
Kitty litter? well, I'm gonna try that. I have a full bag of the Wallyworld type that is the cheap all clay brand.

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
Mucky_Waters said:
What brand UV clarifier/sterilizer is it? Did you contact the company? It sounds like you were running it 24/7, if you were, that is really unnecessary, you just need to run it until the pond clears and then shut it off until you you have a use for it again. Still, the transformers should have lasted longer than that. Do you know precisely when it stopped working?
I just recently bought a rechargeable drill that was dead on arrival, so I took it back to the store and got my money back. I guess the lesson learned was that sometimes products don't work or last as long as they should, I have a couple other rechargeable drills that have given me years of faithful service, but I fully expect one day they will stop working. I use rechargeable drills all the time at work and around home, they are useful tools, I won't be turned off using them because I bought one defective one.
So, what was the lesson YOU learned you learned about UV filters?
Brand is Ultraviolet Classic Series 80 watt. The bulbs burned out last October so it was shut down. Just recently purchased replacement bulbs, installed them, plugged it in and nothing. Wait, maybe the replacement bulbs are defective and not the transformers. So now I'm gonna have to search on how to test them to see if they are still in working order.
I kept running it for the sterilizer part. slowing the flow rate down to get the effect.
lesson learned, be patient and save your money.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
kougs said:
Kitty litter? well, I'm gonna try that. I have a full bag of the Wallyworld type that is the cheap all clay brand.
That is what I used, the tank was a yucky pea green before I put the litter on top of the filter. The water just runs through it, a real slow flow pump..........

Reaction score
Sounds like it's the transformer. The bulbs should last a year of continuous use, and even then they shouldn't burn out, their UV output just drops significantly, but they generally continue to output visible light.
I did a search, it looks like your unit is priced at somewhere between $500 and $600. You'd think for that price the company would stand behind their product.
I bought a cheap 55 watt Jebao UV unit, with a spare bulb for $100, and it's still going strong.
Lesson learned, spending 5 times the money on something isn't always a guarantee you'll get a better product.
I'd be contacting the company before spending any more time or money on it.

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
sissy said:
does it have a warranty on the box that you got it in
No longer have the box but have been told by the pond place I purchased from it has a 1 Year and Limited Lifetime on the housing against Ultraviolet degradation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
So what exactly does kitty litter do to the algae? Does it have any other effect on the water? I assume you rinse the dust off of it first before putting it in your filter?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Shdwdrgn said:
So what exactly does kitty litter do to the algae? Does it have any other effect on the water? I assume you rinse the dust off of it first before putting it in your filter?
I rinsed it well for the house tank, for the pond I never rinse it. When I work on the lilies I make one heck of a dust mess in the pond, but it clears up pretty darn fast, usually half day or so.
I use a lot of litter between all the plants, lilies etc. I buy about 20 bags in the spring to add to the lily pots, lotus pots, plants, it just sort of disappears over a season of lily growing, the roots take over the clay. Cheap walmart litter, plain clay. I never have green water in my pond or string algae. The fish tank I just figured to give it a try to clear up that green water.......it worked lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
addy1 said:
Cheap walmart litter, plain clay.
I wonder if this is the same thing as the cheap litter you get for automotive use, to clean up oil spills? No scents or anything else mixed in, just the basic clay.

Ask a Question