j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
As long as it says 100% clay on the bag w/ no additives it should be good to go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Yep, that's what the automotive stuff is... pure bentonite clay without all the fluff. The bag I have doesn't even look like it was bleached out.
So I was reading on that other page, and it seems like my best bet might be just pouring the clay straight into the pond. Some of my worst string algae is along the shallow gravel beds, and I'm kind of thinking that sprinkling the clay down into the gravel could keep it where its getting a constant flow of water over it. Any thoughts on this idea?

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
Wow. This turned out to be a great discussion and extremely informative. My update is my unit is out of warranty so I found a replacement. I have the two 40 Watt transformers but opted for the single 80 Watt NEMA. Which cost me less. $142.00 free shipping. EBay Thanks again for taking the time for your thoughts and doing research.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I kept running it for the sterilizer part. slowing the flow rate down to get the effect.
You kept running water through a dead unit? Without working bulbs, you HAVE no sterilization taking place!
John

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
HARO said:
I kept running it for the sterilizer part. slowing the flow rate down to get the effect.
You kept running water through a dead unit? Without working bulbs, you HAVE no sterilization taking place!
John
Oh no, I had shut it down last October when I noticed the bulbs burned out. I got new bulbs and was starting it up when no lights came on.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Addy, so now we know your deep dark secrets.... bags of kitty litter! My deep dark secret..... I need to transplant my lillys this year into some kitty litter... have not transplanted that water Lilly for maybe 20 years! No wonder the bulbs are falling out of the pot!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Shdwdrgn said:
Yep, that's what the automotive stuff is... pure bentonite clay without all the fluff. The bag I have doesn't even look like it was bleached out.
So I was reading on that other page, and it seems like my best bet might be just pouring the clay straight into the pond. Some of my worst string algae is along the shallow gravel beds, and I'm kind of thinking that sprinkling the clay down into the gravel could keep it where its getting a constant flow of water over it. Any thoughts on this idea?
I need to check into the auto clay, might be cheaper than the kitty litter. I go through a lot of it during the spring start up.

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
Update. Got the new unit, plugged it in and the lights are working. So the original transformers crapped out within 2 years. Oh well, may have been my fault for not protecting them properly.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
A good flow of water on the kitty litter would prolly help make it work better. I like to put mine down under my water fall or even in the tub of the falls where the water can swirl around and through it all. Mine is in a fine netted big pouch tho so it can't go out all over the pond, not that that would hurt anything but when I netted out gunk from the bottom of the pond out would go the litter too.

Ask a Question