Lighting for Koi under Shade

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Need advise on type of lighting for koi. My pond is under shade and koi starts to lose their colour.

Is the lighting the only solution to restore their colour?

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
The food that I used is with colour enhancement-Misaki brand. The issue is that my pond is under shade.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1647880311849.gif
@Alan T
I read that stress, water quality, food, predator attacks, injury, sickness, changes in water temp can dull their colors. Also read that koi get duller as they get old. Females may lose some color during spawning. Said koi are also more colorful in cold water. So in Summer when the temps are higher the koi may become duller.
Nowhere did I see where more sunshine would help w/more colors.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Differ on that- with them not eating during winter, the color can fade. Once they start munching on plants the color builds. Starting to get some really vibrant colors on some of mine now and other than a few cheerios, they haven't been fed. I'm not sure if the colors are different in shade or if its the sunlight that brings out the colors.

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Hello and welcome! How much shade is there, and how big is the pond — just curious?
The pond is covered under building. Will 9nky receive slight sunlight in the early morning. Mine is 7ft length, 4.5ft wide and 3 ft depth.

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Differ on that- with them not eating during winter, the color can fade. Once they start munching on plants the color builds. Starting to get some really vibrant colors on some of mine now and other than a few cheerios, they haven't been fed. I'm not sure if the colors are different in shade or if its the sunlight that brings out the colors

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
No winter here. It is sunshine whole year long. My water lily almost destroyed by them..

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
View attachment 148575@Alan T
I read that stress, water quality, food, predator attacks, injury, sickness, changes in water temp can dull their colors. Also read that koi get duller as they get old. Females may lose some color during spawning. Said koi are also more colorful in cold water. So in Summer when the temps are higher the koi may become duller.
Nowhere did I see where more sunshine would help w/more colors.
Your pond is at open space or indoor? It is recommended by the koi expert here that particular koi species like Ogon and Ochiba will need sunlight to have brighter colour..

Ask a Question