Lighting for Overwintering Koi

Reaction score
I am always looking to improve my setups for overwintering Koi inside. I only do this for the smallest fry. I hate to put them in the pond if they are under 4". I just don't feel they have enough body fat to make it through. I may be wrong, but I tend to be over cautious.

So I am wondering about indoor lighting. I have setup regular 4 foot shop lights. Each has 2 lamps. One is a flourescent grow light similar to an indoor fish tank light and the other lamp is an all natural light. There are 3 light fixtures, one for each baby tank.

Has anyone put much thought in to the lighting they provide inside for their Koi? We all seem to really concentrate on the water conditions. Which is VERY important. But I am thinking about that little extra I can do to help them keep growing throughout the winter and keep their natural development moving along.

Ask a Question