Lilies

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh good lawdy I've found the online Lily store!
They've got night bloomers and blue ones.
Can I see your lily pictures? Any funky colors?
@addy1 do you have pictures of the dark purple one you sent me a cutting from? Mine didn't survive so I'd like to replace it.
Anyway looking for suggestions.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Want to get crazy? Check out Turtle Island Waterlilies! Tropical colors but hardy! Had hoped to have cuttings to send out this year but with the warm winter, they got chewed up. All my lilies are sitting in stock tanks now. Hopefully get them repotied this weekend.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@tbendl The best "pots" for lilies are shallow and wide. Think oil pan or dish pan. The tubers like to grow across the container - horizontally rather than vertically, if that makes sense. And while bigger is always better, remember you have to be able to pick that sucker up. A pot chock full of lily tubers will be HEAVY!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I actually buy these - they cost a couple of bucks at Walmart. Three inches of kitty litter. Tuber on top. Another inch or so of kitty litter. Gravel on top. One baseball sized rock to hold the tuber in place. Done!

634adcd8-df33-49af-967d-f08b4c653603_1.c2d8de0ad4add9adce2689dad900f83f.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I like the shallow containers because they allow the tuber to stretch out without hopping out of the pot. And they have more grow room without the extra weight that a deeper pot of the same diameter would have.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks to me like @tbendl is talking about both. One minute she says she found a lily store and then she says she bought a lotus.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Don't want any pot too heavy! Recovering from shoulder injury from pulling lilies that were in extra large pots. Pots will be downsized this year!

Ask a Question