addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Picked up a 1000 gallon stock tank, cheap, and decided to redo a very rocky flower garden in the front of our house.

Of course another slope.
DSC00582.jpg

The rocks around the pond are just a few that I dug out while making the hole.

DSC00604.jpg

DSC00603.jpg

And of course that dirt slope must of had poison ivy roots in it, did not see any plants. Back, legs, arm and hands all broken out. Darn been so careful this year, first time to get it.

So before I cover the back slope dirt area, I need to drain the pond so I can walk in it to place the rocks or what ever we use. Can't walk the edge and get this darn poison ivy again.

Still have mulching to do, just tossed some hay around the plants, need to put lily's in the pond and next summer some goldies to control the mosquitoes.

Reaction score
Oh man! I hate that poison ivy! I had to a get a shot last season for a bad case of it last year. That is some rough stuff. Of course, that's what I get for trying to prank some teenagers that go to my church in the middle of the night!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing.........sounds like a story you should share!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Addy just put your swim suit on and do it from inside the pond............a little water never hurt anyone :rolleyes:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
Addy just put your swim suit on and do it from inside the pond............a little water never hurt anyone :rolleyes:

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
it is too cold for this lil body right now!

Reaction score
I love this idea. My Koi eat everything I put in there. But I can put in a plant pond and go from there. Great Idea. Thank you.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
stroppy said:
i think youve got us all thinking lily ponds now addy :0)

Laughing..........new things to keep you occupied!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is the first time I saw it to herz and it looks good .I must have missed it somehow glad you brought it back as that is a great idea and would love to see the end results

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Thanks Sissy,
I was curious if she ran power to it or just made it a planting pond, kind of like if you had a water barrel planter on your patio. I want to make a wildlife pond without a filter and just use plants and water changes to run it (no fish planned) and then use the mosquito dunks to keep the skeeters down at first. But I still have a lot of research to do first to make sure I do it right. Do you know if dragon flies eat mosquito larvae/mosquitos? Want something easier to attract them, I found several dead around my pond this summer, not sure how they got sucked into the water and died, but want to build a more wildlife friendly water space.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you could do that and it would be similar to hydroponics .They just use an aerator and fresh water to grow veggies and plants with out soil .They do add nutrients .I have a net in the top of my rain barrels that floats up and down with plants growing in that and it keeps the water fresh and I add fertilizer to my rain barrels so when I drain water from them with the hose it fertilizes what ever I water .I grow elephant ears in them every summer ,makes them look like a big planter as a matter of fact I just cut the tops off them and store the elephant ear bulbs yesterday

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks Sissy,
I was curious if she ran power to it or just made it a planting pond, kind of like if you had a water barrel planter on your patio. I want to make a wildlife pond without a filter and just use plants and water changes to run it (no fish planned) and then use the mosquito dunks to keep the skeeters down at first. But I still have a lot of research to do first to make sure I do it right. Do you know if dragon flies eat mosquito larvae/mosquitos? Want something easier to attract them, I found several dead around my pond this summer, not sure how they got sucked into the water and died, but want to build a more wildlife friendly water space.

Well the lily pond ended up being a bog, a neighbors dog fell in and could not get out, I saved it, the leaf drop was horrible, so just made it a bog. We had piping laid to run electric to it, but nope didn't.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess if you had that many leaves it would destroy a pump fast .I do like the way my rain barrels look with the elephant growing out of them and it would look great with a bog of plants and I have been looking at that florida hill nursery I found for more types of exotic plants that are cold hardy .I still like the way it looks addy and would look nice with a concrete statue in the middle and lights shining up on it .

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I guess if you had that many leaves it would destroy a pump fast .I do like the way my rain barrels look with the elephant growing out of them and it would look great with a bog of plants and I have been looking at that florida hill nursery I found for more types of exotic plants that are cold hardy .I still like the way it looks addy and would look nice with a concrete statue in the middle and lights shining up on it .
Pics please of your rainbarrels :razz:

Ask a Question