Bugs in my water lily pond

Reaction score
Country
India
Very frustrated by the multiplying bugs in my water lily pond.
I guess these are Dragon flies(picture attached) but not sure.
The pond has guppy fish also.
These bugs keep eating the guppy fry hence decreasing the guppy quantity.

I have cleaned the pond completely by removing all the water, fish and plants a couple of times.
There are no bugs for initial 15-20 days post cleaning but after that they start coming back.

I am looking for a fish and plant friendly solution for this.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Bugs.jpg
    Bugs.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,252

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can use peroxide and spray it with a mix of it with water .I am surprised fish have not eaten them .Not sure what they are i am no bug expert :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They look like dragonfly larvae to me. I love them, they eats mosquitoes larvae!!! and then they turn into beautiful flying bugs that eat mosquitoes....

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes, those are Dragonfly larvae. They are a natural part of any aquatic eco-system. Yes, they will eat small fish, tadpoles, etc., but they may also eaten by large fish. No way to prevent them from occupying your pond short of screening it in or erecting some other structure around it. Any thing that will kill these creatures will also harm other organisms in the pond, including the fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Love them and welcome them to my pond. I think if you don't want them to breed in your pond you will have to use a screen. You can buy large pieces of fiberglass screen door material at Lowes or H-depot for cheap. Maybe find out when breeding season is and only use the screen at that time.
047888420094lg.jpg

Ask a Question