Little friend has made our yard home

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
About 2 years ago we spotted the first snake in the pond. Last year it became a regular occurrence and at one point I tripped over him in the lawn!

He is back sunning himself in our red sedum next to the pond. Cute little fellar.

DSCN9308.JPG
DSCN9310.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Don't like any snakes ,sorry:)I have my reasons

My dear hubby hates them as well. I have never met anyone with such a dislike for snakes. The first time I spotted him a couple years ago hubby was sure he was a cottonmouth who hitched a ride on a produce truck to Utah LOL. It took me a while to convince him otherwise.

I like most snakes and think they are useful. Since we put the pond in I have seen mice run under the low deck in front of the pond, then I started seeing this little guy. Figure he can help with the mice, I just hope none of our doggies see him and think he is a chew toy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
About 12 years ago, a grass snake swam across the pond. My wife saw it. She is petrified of snakes. There is no way she will ever go in the ponds.
I told this story before. My wife came upstairs screaming about 1:00 in the morning. She said there is a snake in the living room. I went downstairs, and this brown snake slithered under the couch. I went back upstairs, and said you're all set, honey, and went back to sleep.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond is infested with garter snakes,I mean dozens. Occasionally I get a glimpse of a 6 ft plus black snake when the bullfrog population is high. I even saved a bullfrog from a big black snake a few years back. They can all live there but no one is allowed to eat anyone while I'm present.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I would do the same with my hubby.................he does not like snakes. We have some big black snakes, rat snakes, etc hanging around. I do not see them very often.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We get water moccasins here. Luckily I have only seen 1 snake since the pond build, it wasn't a WM but I wasn't exactly welcoming I'll admit.

If I lived where you live I would be much more cautious! I have honestly only ever seen two kinds of snakes in Utah, garter and rattlers. I have never seen a rattler in the city so I don't worry about them at the house. But down on our property on the Utah/Nevada border we have seen many Mojave rattlers and are very very cautious.

Funny thing is my brother was telling me you can get your dogs a rattle snake vaccine at the vet, which I think we will do since the little guys go to the property with us and would have no chance of living if bit. My brother said he asked the vet if they have it for dogs, why don't they have it for humans and the vet gave him a blank stare. LOL

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah I am. We don't have snakes in Hawaii and it has taken some getting used to. The first house I lived in when we moved here had a huge natural pond and we were sitting on the porch and a SNAKE FELL FROM THE SKY!! Well it fell from the eaves but whatever it still scared the bejebus outta me...
Since then I've kept them at a respectful distance since I can't tell the difference honestly between a WM and a dark looking worm.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Funny thing is my brother was telling me you can get your dogs a rattle snake vaccine at the vet, which I think we will do since the little guys go to the property with us and would have no chance of living if bit. My brother said he asked the vet if they have it for dogs, why don't they have it for humans and the vet gave him a blank stare. LOL
Go to your vet, roll on the floor, drool all over everything, THEN ask him for the rattler vaccine. :ROFLMAO::smuggrin:
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Go to your vet, roll on the floor, drool all over everything, THEN ask him for the rattler vaccine. :ROFLMAO::smuggrin:
John

Now that's a solid plan. Unfortunately I was looking into the vaccine which vaccinates dogs to all types of rattlesnake venom except the Mojave rattler :( which is the kind we primarily see on the property along with great basin rattlers in less numbers.

The Mojave rattler is a special breed of rattler in that they have both a neurotoxin and a hemotoxin in their venom. All other rattlers are just a hemotoxin.

I question whether any of us humans could survive a bite from a Mojave rattler out there since its an hours drive on dirt roads just to get to cell service and another hours drive to the nearest small town.

Ask a Question