lockdown

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I am very cautious. I don't go out much. When I do, I wear a mask if I'm around people. At my husband's work, 4 people got it. They were all family members. Their elderly mom got it and died. My granddaughter still comes here after school a couple times a week. Hubby does most of the grocery shopping, I'll go with him every so often. I'm not freaking out and living like a hermit, but am still living cautiously. Think I'll go put some Christmas music on, that always takes me to my happy place :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I am very cautious.

Think I'll go put some Christmas music on, that always takes me to my happy place :)

I am, too. I only go where necessary, other than hiking. To be fair, I've never liked going places anyway. The social distancing world we're currently in is basically how I've lived my entire life.

As far as Christmas goes, I'm kind of in the mood for it, too. Might put my tree up early this year.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't flatten the curve when every state had different rules, many states had few rules. We had a real chance early on. We really did. If we would've had a true lockdown across the country, we could've gotten ahead of it in a few short weeks. Summer would've likely been somewhat normal, but no one would get on the same page, so here we are.

Meanwhile, members of my family keep getting it. My late grandma's sister got it in mid summer. She died. A younger family member got it a couple months back. She spent time in the hospital and she's still not back to normal even today. I found out earlier this week that two more family members have it, both with symptoms. Hoping for the best.

I won't argue with you, but I will forever disagree with you on this topic @Lisak1.
jb im very sorry for your loss, i only started this thread as a discussion not to cause any harm or upset. i am truly sorry for your loss. mark

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm not freaking out and living like a hermit, but am still living cautiously.
Same here, living a lot like we always have but with more caution when out and about. We were never big restaurant eaters, like my own cooking better. We don't frequent bars, never have.

It would totally suck to finally make it to retirement, have a decent retirement then die due to this virus. And or get the darn virus live and have all the symptoms the long haulers have, brain fog, heart issues, lung issues.......................if you believe what is stated by docs and some of the people that have survived it. I do believe what is occurring with the long haulers, I know one, miserable.

So we will continue to be cautious.

jb im very sorry for your loss, i only started this thread as a discussion not to cause any harm or upset. i am truly sorry for your loss. mark
It is a discussion, you did fine, all of us have been effected in some way or another with what is occurring. Sometimes it helps to discuss, type, talk about all the issues we all are facing in some way or another.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thank you addy1, i dont want to upset anyone. like you said it is good to talk, type, discuss i just thought it would be different to hear from other people around the world how they are dealing with it. thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@addy1 The only thing that is killing me is the not being able to eat out. I don't like cooking. We ate out a lot. Now he goes and gets it and brings it home. Just not the same as having some one waiting on you.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We "eat out" by going to a sea food deli near us. They have excellent food. We get crabs (in season) crab cakes, crab dip, fried shrimp, fresh fish, clams on and on. When I want a break from cooking we go and spend about 100 and have food for a week. Oh and ledo's pizza.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I find that most people who are pretty much OK with lockdowns usually follow up with "but this isn't really much different than what I normally do". So maybe that's the difference. I am basically a homebody, so I really don't mind spending a lot of time at home. I'm pretty comfortable in my own space.

But in my job I interact with families who have been impacted dramatically and it's terrible to witness. Somehow we decided avoiding Covid took precedence over every other issue that can impact people's lives. Jobless? Homeless? Starving? Bankrupt? Well at least you don't have Covid! Older people are literally dying of despair. I am sorry for any Covid losses anyone has suffered, but do we prefer that people die from loneliness? Are there better and worse ways for people to die? I know three people who's adult children have OD'd since March - I don't think any of us would say to those grieving parents "well thank goodness it wasn't from COVID!"

Anecdotally speaking - I personally don't know a single person who has tested positive for Covid, but I would never assume that means Covid is nothing to worry about. By the same token, knowing people who have either died or been seriously ill with Covid shouldn't be interpreted to mean it's going to pick us all off one by one. It's like any other virus - possibly more contagious, likely more deadly for a segment of the population, but it will run it's course like every other virus. Hearing people say "if only we had done... " whatever seems like great hindsight. That's more of a political statement than reality generally speaking. If so, we'd see other countries wiith a better handle on it than us, and that's just not the case. Well, Sweden - but we're supposed to believe their approach was an abysmal failure. 111 day lockdown to get to zero cases in Australia? Let's give them a few weeks and see what happens. And really all that means is zero detected cases. Did we all stop believing in the asymptomatic spreaders now?

It's alway discouraging to me that people interpret stating a difference of opinion as an argument - surely we can share ideas without considering it an argument. I don't think I've heard anyone identify themselves as an epidemiologist or virologist on this thread, so we're all just reading and listening to other people's ideas and deciding what we think makes sense. So no arguments here @yorkshire pudding - just my own thoughts filtered through my own life experiences.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I find that most people who are pretty much OK with lockdowns usually follow up with "but this isn't really much different than what I normally do".

I'm OK with lockdowns for health purposes, not because I already stay home. That doesn't make it any easier on me. There are a few things I really look forward to all year long that I didn't get to do this year. I spent all winter waiting and dreaming of those events to finally get here, and then to have everything cancelled really put me in a dark place. This has been an extremely difficult year for me. Even at home, I lost NASCAR for two months. It sounds like something so small, but that's not the case for me. That was rough. I can't overstate it enough. This year has been awful.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm OK with lockdowns for health purposes

Ok, except a lockdown focuses on ONE health goal while it ignores all other areas of health that are negatively impacted by a lockdown: mental health, social well-being, routine health screenings that get missed, the childhood vaccines and well child care visits that don't happen, increases in depression, anxiety, and suicide attempts, drug overdoses... the list goes on and on. Your experience highlights that - you have things that matter to you that you anticipate. While I may say "NASCAR didn't happen - who cares?" you experienced a loss of something you look forward to. Too often I hear people say "so what if you can't go eat in a restaurant or go to a play or a movie or watch your kid play a sport, or visit a new grandbaby, or celebrate a holiday with your family - you'll survive". But those are all lost experiences - the things we do and enjoy that define us, the things that make a life. Are we here to survive... or are we here to live a life?

Which amplifies my point - if you have a laser focus on eliminating a virus and don't care AT ALL about all other aspects of life, then a total lockdown will likely achieve that goal. But you'll be losing sight of a lot of other things that are equally - no I'll argue they are even MORE - important.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok, except a lockdown focuses on ONE health goal while it ignores all other areas of health that are negatively impacted by a lockdown:

That's not true. A lockdown not only works toward eliminating the virus, but also gets ahead of all other areas of health that are negatively impacted by the virus; all the things you listed.

An early, hard lockdown would've been far better than what we've been through all year.

Are we here to survive... or are we here to live a life?

Can't live a life if you don't survive. Only, in this case, survival is also about protecting the people around you. I would be devastated if my 'living life' led to someone else catching it and dying. That would be worse than anything.

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

Don't worry. I'm not upset. I don't mind debate.

I didn't really know her well, but I'm saddened for those in my family who did. It did make me think a lot about my late grandma, though. Obviously, I'm sure everyone deals with that type of thing when there's a connection to someone you knew.

Last edited:

Ask a Question