Looking for a better hose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This ribbed hose constantly springs leaks. Connecting two together does not work at all.
Any suggestions.

Attachments

• 20190624_111332.jpg
    20190624_111332.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 125

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I buy the heavy duty flexible PVC tubing below. I bought it at our local pond store but places like Web's Water Gardens online has it in different dimensions. https://webbsonline.com/Item/Flexible-PVC-Pond-Tubing-2264
You can find it at many other places, maybe cheaper or on sale. Not sure if places like Lowe's or H-depot carry it or not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Still looks Ribbed.What type of connector to the filter should i use. I have a pressure filter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's not ribbed like the hose you're using - and it's smooth on the inside which eliminates any friction. And very, very durable. We have to cut it with a reciprocating saw. Yours looks like sump pump hose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
+1 on the flexible PVC. Wish I would have discovered it long ago. This stuff is great and it can be glued into standard PVC fittings if you like. I use those Fernco rubber couplings with hose clamps to connect it to my filters. This way its easily removeable.

Reaction score
+2 on that fex Pvc too. Do note that it's not as flexible as what you have now and won't make tight 90 degree turns. If do end up doing glue joints to standard PVC... make sure you get the 795 glue.

The worst part of the older tubing is that it becomes quite breakable when it's cold. My older smaller pump would seize up if i lost power. So I would have to pull the pump up and wack it with a screw driver for it to start back up. When this happened in the winter or early spring when the water is cold... i would take out a pot of hot water and warm the pipe up before touching it. If not it would tear open... and you would get stuck fixing it in the bitter cold. Fun times!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Was also looking into something else because we seem to be having the same problem. So this flexible pvc tubing can be used without glue? Just hose clamps?

Casbah

Muckraker
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Was also looking into something else because we seem to be having the same problem. So this flexible pvc tubing can be used without glue? Just hose clamps?

I inherited a build that used the flexible pipe. I bought 'insert' fittings to connect my pump. They have ribs and are friction-fit connections...no need for clamps (in my application). Relatively inexpensive and bought them here; https://www.supplyhouse.com/

Attachments

• insert 90.jpg
    insert 90.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 102
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You can glue it into standard ridged PVC fittings or I used rubber Fernco couplings to connect it to normal rigid pvc. I screwed normal rigid fittings with short straight nipples onto my filter. Then switched over to flex PVC with the Fernco fittings. I wanted to be able to disconnect the fittings for winter storage. You can buy these common Fernco fittings in hardware stores or the big box stores. They come with two hose clamps on them. The flexible PVC and normal rigid PVC fit inside the Fernco fittings. You buy the same size Fernco as your pipe.
It's called flex PVC, but It is not real flexible. You can bend it but the radius is not so tight. I used 1-1/2" and the radius might be about 2 feet. Smaller sizes might bend more easily. I imagine if you were to gently heat it, you might get a tighter bend. I saw a you-tube video where a guy demonstrated it's flexibility.
This stuff is very tuff and I can see having to never buy hose again. I was tired of buying that corregated "pond" hose and having it last one season.
I'm not sure if the inside diameter of the flex PVC will fit normal barbed fittings. I remember reading somewhere someone having a difficulty with that.

Casbah

Muckraker
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I imagine if you were to gently heat it, you might get a tighter bend.

Tried that with a heat gun....It worked the first time but left a kink in the hose. Burned a hole through the pipe the 2nd time.

If you can do it before it's installed... use some clamps or nails on a plywood board and work it into shape slowly. I would't try to do it 'in the hole' like I did.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This ribbed hose constantly springs leaks. Connecting two together does not work at all.
Any suggestions.
The hose you have is pretty close to the most inexpensive and inefficient pipe you can get. The hose Jw has shown you is by far a superior product in comparison

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can glue it into standard ridged PVC fittings or I used rubber Fernco couplings to connect it to normal rigid pvc. I screwed normal rigid fittings with short straight nipples onto my filter. Then switched over to flex PVC with the Fernco fittings. I wanted to be able to disconnect the fittings for winter storage. You can buy these common Fernco fittings in hardware stores or the big box stores. They come with two hose clamps on them. The flexible PVC and normal rigid PVC fit inside the Fernco fittings. You buy the same size Fernco as your pipe.
It's called flex PVC, but It is not real flexible. You can bend it but the radius is not so tight. I used 1-1/2" and the radius might be about 2 feet. Smaller sizes might bend more easily. I imagine if you were to gently heat it, you might get a tighter bend. I saw a you-tube video where a guy demonstrated it's flexibility.
This stuff is very tuff and I can see having to never buy hose again. I was tired of buying that corregated "pond" hose and having it last one season.
I'm not sure if the inside diameter of the flex PVC will fit normal barbed fittings. I remember reading somewhere someone having a difficulty with that.

Thanks we will definitely look at changing this out next year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We've found that the "flex" part of the name is rather misleading as well. It does "flex" but for tight turns you'd be better using rigid PVC elbows and gluing connections.

Reaction score
Yep the flex hose is the way to go. If you have a long straight run then you can get away with putting regular schedule 40 pvc pipe in between and saving money.

Ask a Question