Looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Chumley, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Chumley

Chumley

I would love to hear some ideas from you experienced pond keepers.

This was our first full year with our pond and we have really enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong, I am very thankful for what we have, but my creativity is tapped out. We will continue to add perennials and ground covers and maybe a few more driftwood pieces. All thoughts are welcome. Here are some pictures......

Attached Files:

Chumley, Sep 23, 2018
    sissy likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Chumley

sissy sissy

you need a light house with a light in it .One of those real tall ones .A nice faux wood concrete bench also would be nice

sissy, Sep 23, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Chumley

j.w I Love my Goldies

Maybe a windmill, or just some yard art that is taller of some sort depending on what you like. Maybe some large upright driftwood? Maybe some medium sized evergreen trees?

wood 3.jpg

[​IMG]

Slender-Hinoki-Cypress.jpg

Hinoki-cypress.jpg

j.w, Sep 23, 2018
    Gemma likes this.
  4. Chumley

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

When my brain runs out of ideas, I just pause let it sit and something always comes up. A neat piece of wood, a neat plant etc.

addy1, Sep 23, 2018
    Tara, sissy and Gemma like this.
  5. Chumley

Gemma

@Chumley It looks awesome, just give it some time for the plants to grow and fill in

Love the windmill idea @j.w and I have one of those cranes! :)

Gemma, Sep 23, 2018
    Mmathis likes this.
  6. Chumley

sissy sissy

my sister got me 2 when dr foster and smith had the cranes clearanced out but they are in the basement until the weather calms down or next spring .Whichever comes first

sissy, Sep 23, 2018
  7. Chumley

Mmathis TurtleMommy

I agree to just give it time to fill in. It usually takes at least the first year for new plants to take hold.

Mmathis, Sep 23, 2018
  8. Chumley

Tara

I like the two streams side by side, for me I would try to get some flat river rock between them instead of pepples, and get moss to grow on them. I do like the look of moss around flowing water. However having said that, when the plants you have mature it will look better as you do have a lovely pond .

Tara, Sep 24, 2018
    sissy likes this.
  9. Chumley

Lisak1

It's beautiful @Chumley! And time is indeed a gardener's friend - give it a few years and you'll be dividing and looking for places to move plants. The old saying about perennials is "the first year they sleep, the second year they creep, the third year they leap". We have found that to be very true. The other one that you rarely hear is "fifty percent of everything you plant will probably die the first year" but that's another story! ;)

The hostas may prove difficult - they generally prefer at least some shade and your pond appears to be in full sun... but maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture. And having said that, I have a lot of my own planted in the sun. They do fine until the very hottest part of summer. If you do find them unhappy where they are, you could move them into the actual stream bed - I have some planted in my waterfall that look great all summer. The constant water supply counteracts the lack of shade and keeps them happy.

I also think you have to consider adding some annuals every year. Perennials are great, but most only flower for short periods each season. If you want to add all season color, you can't beat annuals. A few tucked here and there can have a great impact and are really a small investment.

I also love a few pieces of garden art - a gazing ball or other colorful glass ornaments can add some nice colorful accents. And pieces that move with the wind are also fun to have - I've seen some really interesting metal or copper pieces at local nurseries that have colorful beads or shiny pieces that catch the light when they spin or bob and weave with the wind. I like a little whimsy in the garden spaces - it's eye catching and fun!

Lisak1, Sep 24, 2018
    Tara and sissy like this.
  10. Chumley

sissy sissy

I love my gazing balls ,Wonder why I never thought of them addy .The bright colors of them brighten every thing .I also have several concrete balls I made .I just filled dollar store balls with concrete and then cut the balls off the outside .If you use footballs the look a little like an egg when stood up on end

sissy, Sep 24, 2018
  11. Chumley

Rex

I think it looks great the way it is!

Rex, Sep 24, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question