Looking for Ways to Discourage Raccoons from Fishing in Our Backyard Pond

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@Kelly H Very pretty pond and glad you have that net now to protect the fish :)
Thank you - it looks a lot nicer in the summer when the red japanese maple trees are flush with leaves - I’m so happy I got the net - something (the heron?) has tried to land in it every 3-4 days as it has pushed the net flush with the pond but of course it cannot get through - the small tight weave is the way to go.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
only way I have found is trap them and relocate them . Which i was told by animal control was legal to do in VA as long as it was not during baby born times . Which they give on there sight for each area when that is . They even give you areas to relocate them too

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only thing with nets is frogs and even some birds get caught in them that are just looking for a drink . I even had a turtle fall in my pond after he walked off the bridge . I got him out after a week of trying . I did not want him clawing a hole in my liner

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The only thing with nets is frogs and even some birds get caught in them that are just looking for a drink . I even had a turtle fall in my pond after he walked off the bridge . I got him out after a week of trying . I did not want him clawing a hole in my liner
That's why I use the wide weave big holed nets raises up high off the ground. Have not had anything caught in my net except heavy wet snow which if I don't get out there and knock it off it weighs down the net and can rip it apart. Light, dry type of snow doesn't do that.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well got pics of our dump and the high tunnel house being built next door . the red ones are for plastic , glass , cardboard and paper and aluminuim . There is a guy there all the time now and it is always clean and they spray a non toxic stuff to keep smells down

Attachments

• DSC06178.JPG
    DSC06178.JPG
    332.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC06180.JPG
    DSC06180.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC06177.JPG
    DSC06177.JPG
    415.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC06176.JPG
    DSC06176.JPG
    274.7 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC06183.JPG
    DSC06183.JPG
    342.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC06180.JPG
    DSC06180.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 4

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
well got pics of our dump and the high tunnel house being built next door . the red ones are for plastic , glass , cardboard and paper and aluminuim . There is a guy there all the time now and it is always clean and they spray a non toxic stuff to keep smells down
Wow nice and tidy dump site! Not sure that would be my choice for a house tho!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well since it was free land they got but still not sure why such a large high tunnel . It is over 6000 sq ft with 2 huge lofts . I asked him if he insulated the slab and he did not know you could do that . I did and took over the pics I took from back then . He asked what he could do now and all I could tell him was put down sleepers and insulate the floor that way . He was telling me how cold the floors were and when I was there yesterday I could feel it coming through my shoes . It was 52 degrees outside yesterday . Other was to put sleepers down and plywood and put in heat wires or heat coil tubes in . He looked at what I was talking about yesterday and I told him no matter what it was not going to be cheap . But told him no matter what he does it may not be as comfortable as they want it to be . They have small children also . That is why I never wanted a house on slab . He is looking into propane heat and regular air conditioner unit . Heat pump will never keep that place warm . I also gave him the name of H2O here that does well drilling and a septic tank guy i know .He was happy about that and called H2O and he is giving him a quote today . I just got off the phone with him .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They have been bringing in jugs of water every day 2 and 3 times a day . because they couldn't find a well driller or even a septic tank guy . I had my well done before the house was set on the foundation and permanent electric service went in 2 days later . Septic tank guy was there to do that 2 days after house was placed on foundation . You have to plan way ahead . I had to be back to NJ the day after that to go ack to work . Drove all night and then went to work an hour after i got home

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They have been bringing in jugs of water every day 2 and 3 times a day . because they couldn't find a well driller or even a septic tank guy . I had my well done before the house was set on the foundation and permanent electric service went in 2 days later . Septic tank guy was there to do that 2 days after house was placed on foundation . You have to plan way ahead . I had to be back to NJ the day after that to go ack to work . Drove all night and then went to work an hour after i got home
Uh Oh hope they get water on their property!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
went to vote and on the way back heard the storm warnings and tornado watch so stopped at my neighbors house on the way back to check on thier dog in her pen under the deck and she was soaked so used the code to get the door open to the basement to let her in and dried her off with the towels they keep down there and on the way out it started raining really hard , by the time i got to my car I was soaked . Got home and Stacy called to ask me to put her dog in the basement and i told her I just did it and dried her off also .Stacy works in martinsville at a doctors office and she siad power is out and parking lot is flooded , but she got out but streets around are all flooded and blocked off . pond is full and it is raining hard and thunder and lightning

Ask a Question