j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Always mess with bee hives on sunny days. They are happy on sunny warm days. Cloudy days makes them unhappy. And when in doubt, a few puffs of smoke in to their entrance really makes them more easy to be around.

Must be what's wrong w/ me in the cloudy/rainy PNW.............happy w/ the sunny days.............unhappy w/ the clouds....................and I'd say a few puffs would make me happy and easier to be around too but I gave that up in the early 70's
hippie.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
rsfish The only thing that gets me are yellow jackets, hurts like all get out and I stay swollen up for weeks from them.

Must be what's wrong w/ me in the cloudy/rainy PNW.............happy w/ the sunny days.............unhappy w/ the clouds....................and I'd say a few puffs would make me happy and easier to be around too but I gave that up in the early 70's
hippie.gif

are you sure you gave it up jw?

Valley Fever.............never heard of that one! Sounds yucky tho. Good luck on the bee hives!

It is a fungus you get from breathing dust in phoenix, I was sick for over a year, the first year I lived in the valley.

Valley fever is a fungal infection caused by coccidioides (kok-sid-ee-OI-deze) organisms. It can cause fever, chest pain and coughing, among other signs and symptoms.
The coccidioides species of fungi that cause valley fever are commonly found in the soil in certain areas. These fungi can be stirred into the air by anything that disrupts the soil, such as farming, construction and wind. The fungi can then be breathed into the lungs and cause valley fever, also known as acute coccidioidomycosis (kok-sid-e-oi-doh-mi-KOH-sis).
Mild cases of valley fever usually go away on their own. In more severe cases of valley fever, doctors prescribe antifungal medications that can treat the underlying infection.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yikes that sounds horrible addy. I will be careful when breathing in Arizona!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
oh it was, I was so sick, and no health insurance, had a job, but back then health ins did not start for 3-4 months, (can't remember lol) Hives, night sweats, exhaustion, then a spot on the lung, they thought was lung cancer (at 26 ) but the cocci leaves scars on your lungs.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nasty stuff and w/ no ins. must have cost you some bucks! Glad you made it through!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Wow that's just frightening! I know our health care is not the best, but at least its something, which is always better than nothing, thats for sure! JW as you age you may need to rely on old fashion herbal smoke therapy, for medicinal purpose only, like the red wine for anti-inflamatory reasons only of course, speaking from personal experience, I mean with respect to the red wine of course, ha ha ha :) :)/

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nasty stuff and w/ no ins. must have cost you some bucks! Glad you made it through!

I managed to get a doc that did a lot of the treatment for free, also gave me samples of drugs I needed. At the time thought I would never feel good again.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well that was nice of that doc to do that for you addy and get drugs free too! Glad you got to feeling better from that horrible thing!

Colleen, wine gives me a headache and way back when I learned that the smokey stuff made you extremely hungry..............don't need to get fat or have pain in the head along w/ the regular stuff that comes along w/ being aged to perfection :D

SE18

David V
Reaction score
2 bees appeared a few minutes ago!!! I'm psyched!!!

Also, the largest humming bird I've ever seen.

AND, a turkey vulture just showed up outside where a car ran over a rabbit (not my car)

Also, late at night I heard a tree frog.

Life is good again

This is heaven!!!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Life is good, love all the nature a pond brings with it. Everyday something new to look at, flowers, bugs plants.

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
Honey bees are not native to the United States, but they have become essential to our agricultural community, particularly the orchard farms. The honey bee hive collapses have been a mystery and are wiping out our honey bees. Just this weekend I was talking to a local bee person who says that the most recent evidence is pointing to chemicals fertilizers and pesticides, even such things as roundup and holly tone are being investigated. We already know that roundup kills amphibians like frogs and toads. The bees do not get sick and die (there was some kind of mite infestation a few years back, but this is something else). The bees for some reason go off to collect and get disoriented, and never return to the hive. Mason bees, which are native to the United States, are very similar to honey bees, are quite docile, also super pollinators, and can easily be encouraged to take up residence in your yard if you make or buy a little mason bee house, especially if there is mud around. Perfect next to a bog! :)

Reaction score
Google bees and Monsanto and you'll find all kinds of theories about how Roundup is responsible for the massive bee kills and how Monsanto is now working on genetic enhanced bees that will polinate only the genetic modified seeds that Monsanto produces. Not saying it's all true but ya never know.

Ask a Question