Lumps on my Shubby's head

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
After the ice thawed last week, I just noticed one of my GF has two white lumps on her head. Below are a few pics. I can try to scoop her up for close ups as needed. It appears to be a growth. Is there a treatment we should try or just leave it? Before it got real cold here in NJ, one of my big comets died. But showed no signs of illness or injury.
IMG_20180129_165525.jpg
IMG_20180129_165509_1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’d recommend quarantineing her, if you have a tank or tote big enough. See if it goes down, or continues to grow. If it is just a bump, or injury, it should heal up, but if it continues to grow, you may have an infection or parasites, so keep a close eye on all your fish regardless. If it is a parasite, you’ll see others coming down with it soon. Same for if it’s a contagious infection. Spring is a delicate time for them, low immune system, water being cold, all that Jazz. The others who know more may pitch in soon, so I’ll just say quarantine her and get better pics posted. And good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh that’s be the second? Case we’ve seen on here already this year. I don’t recall if the other one was confirmed or not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@qclabrat Carp pox and Fish pox are one and the same , they are a viral infection you have however nothing to worry about this viral infection , as normally only on fish may become infected by it in your pond....
Now having said that , there is no quick cure for the fish with infected by it ether , be they Koi or Goldfish we cant treat the virus at all.
Thankfully however It's within the fish to cure itself but the viral infection can take time to disappear, with some extreme cases even longer.
As he weather warms so does the water and as the temperature rises then the pox marks gradually disappear..
However as the weather cools down again then the pox comes back .
After a few years of this the virus becomes inactive and the pox marks disappear for good

Dave

Ask a Question