What are these lumps on my fantail fish?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 3,500 gallon outdoor pond with filter, uv light, and aerator. I have a mix of 7 koi and goldfish. One of the fantails is presenting with multiple small lumps all over its body. I have tried to treat it by adding 40 lbs of salt slowly over 4 days. Then i turned off uv light and aerator and added a bottle of Melafix everyday for 4 days. I did a 30% pond change everyday for 4 days and no luck...lumpy bumps are still there. All of the fish eating well and behaving normally. Can anyone help me? What is this and how do I get rid of it? I have attached a pic of the fish in question.
20160427_082332.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Fish Pox. Not usually fatal. Is not treatable as it is caused by a virus. Usually a symptom of poor water quality. Other fish may or may not contract it. In many instances will disappear when water warms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have two fish I just noticed with the same thing. I turned on my UV light. But not sure if I should remove the fish and treat them. Can't really salt my pond because of all of my plants.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have two fish I just noticed with the same thing. I turned on my UV light. But not sure if I should remove the fish and treat them. Can't really salt my pond because of all of my plants.

Salt will not help if this is fish pox. Fish pox is viral and, as a result, is untreatable.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a fish that has recently died maybe of carp pox it was completely covered in these carp pox. We think that it died because the carp pox had covered its gills and nostrils.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I had a fish that has recently died maybe of carp pox it was completely covered in these carp pox. We think that it died because the carp pox had covered its gills and nostrils.
I'm fraid that ever heard of a fish dying from fish or carp pox in my 30 uears of koi keeping ........ Carp or fish pox is a type of herpes virus that normally isnt transferable to anyother fish in your pond ..
You will find that it normally appears during the colder winter months and disapears again during the summer months .
It has been described as waxy in detail as though someone had dripped hot wax over the fish

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Will the affected fish make it through the winter months? I have 2 with these lumps and I’m hoping it doesn’t spread to other fish while they hibernate.

Ask a Question