major security flaw per fox news

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Up here, the Canada Revenue Agency website is off line to the public this morning because of the Heartbleed bug.
Taxes need to be filed here by the end of the month. Hopefully they get it fixed soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone with XP lost their security last night as windows are no longer updating any programs etc to do with XP :(

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got the update for vista but have not done it yet .Dell gave it to me free since vista was such a mess .But funny thing is my vista runs great and only had a few problems at the beginning with security settings .Mine was the premium version and not sure but maybe it was better

Reaction score
Anyone with XP lost their security last night as windows are no longer updating any programs etc to do with XP :(

Dave

Only Microsoft not providing security updates for Windows XP and Office 2003, third party applications running on XP are down to the software house that provides them to provide support/updates for. All the A/V vendors are still providing updates for their products that operate under XP so there is some protection. The only thing that the "End of Life" for XP/Office 2003 is any unknown security issues will not be fixed by Microsoft. Unless Zero Day exploits are discovered after yesterday within the products that are under "End of Life", then there is nothing to be concerned about. Most ATM machines (Cashpoints) operate on XP and I have seen plenty of them being used today still!!!

My phones haven't stopped ringing today after the media making a big whoo-ha over this latest security issue, but in reality it will not affect that many people. Most online banking log-in processes use drop down menus or in the case of my bank, a unique code that is generated by inserting my card in to a reader and entering my pin. The code is not valid once it has been used or after a short amount of time (whichever comes first), so of no use to any "criminals".

Sissy, the only difference between the versions of Vista are small features within the OS. The kernel and security are the same regardless. Same with all versions of Windows to be honest. XP Professional worked no different to XP Home other than large network (domain) connections. With Windows 7 it gets a little more complicated as certain versions have RAM limitations - such as Home Premium x64 only supporting up to 16GB, where as Professional and Ultimate x64 editions support more than 16GB.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't use debit cards and only use credit card in emergencies .The only problem I have now is that century link is updating all the phone lines around here because the last time anything was done with them and the switching boxes were back in the 60's and it was very rural then and now a little more built up and more internet users .They are added fiber optic also .My cable company is fiber optic but internet from century ink is only 14.99 a month and from the cable company it would be 39.99 a month .Plus I like century link so far and not sure about cable yet as i just got cable tv and one of the neighbors did not call dig safe and broke one of the cables

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Only Microsoft not providing security updates for Windows XP and Office 2003, third party applications running on XP are down to the software house that provides them to provide support/updates for. All the A/V vendors are still providing updates for their products that operate under XP so there is some protection. The only thing that the "End of Life" for XP/Office 2003 is any unknown security issues will not be fixed by Microsoft. Unless Zero Day exploits are discovered after yesterday within the products that are under "End of Life", then there is nothing to be concerned about. Most ATM machines (Cashpoints) operate on XP and I have seen plenty of them being used today still!!!

My phones haven't stopped ringing today after the media making a big whoo-ha over this latest security issue, but in reality it will not affect that many people. Most online banking log-in processes use drop down menus or in the case of my bank, a unique code that is generated by inserting my card in to a reader and entering my pin. The code is not valid once it has been used or after a short amount of time (whichever comes first), so of no use to any "criminals".

Sissy, the only difference between the versions of Vista are small features within the OS. The kernel and security are the same regardless. Same with all versions of Windows to be honest. XP Professional worked no different to XP Home other than large network (domain) connections. With Windows 7 it gets a little more complicated as certain versions have RAM limitations - such as Home Premium x64 only supporting up to 16GB, where as Professional and Ultimate x64 editions support more than 16GB.
Van now youv'e only confused me :D try moron in charge of PC level for me my friend I leave all that computer stuff to ,my IT man Jon :LOL:
I push two buttons it comes on if I at all make a Boo Boo then I shout for Jon :(
"SIMPLES" .:)
Dave

Dave;)

Reaction score
I know lots of people like that Dave LOL I do tend to get a little carried away when it comes to IT issues (24+ years in the industry does that to you). In short, the OpenSSL flaw that has been present for 2 YEARS until now, has only affected, to industry knowledge, Yahoo email accounts (and explains why one of my clients called me last week to say his password had been changed without his knowledge but BT reset it for him over the phone). As far as the industry is aware at the moment, none of the other major players have been affected by it, but as it is only OpenSSL that is affected (and 2/3 of SSL enabled sites use the OpenSSL serverside code), it is a matter of finding out who does use it or is admitting to using it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep it's on the radio and in the newspapers here big time. They are warning everyone to change their passwords right now and then again on Friday when they have it hopefully fixed.

Ask a Question