Make pond shallower!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Yeah I’d make a false bottom...doesn’t have to be anything fancy like aquablocks, cinder blocks, milk crates, rocks, bricks, gravel....

I’m guessing it was made to be that deep because your in Canada and the previous homeowners probably kept fish in there to overwinter. So if you plan on making it shallower you probably increase your chances of having to take your fish out so they don’t freeze....unless you want to buy a water heater....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
All great ideas.
You can turn it into a pondless water feature. A false bottom with milk crates, Aquablocks etc. would be great. Then fill in with gravel on top of that.
Your pump would have to be in the bottom and send the water up to some kind of spitter or waterfall.
The pump needs to be accessible for maintenance or replacement. Don't just bury it under there. You could use a large diameter vertical perforated pipe and drop your pump in there. Tie a rope on the pump for easy retrieval. Large corregated drainage pipe will work or large pvc with holes drilled in it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I always say "AquaBlox" kind of like I say "Kleenex". What would be the generic term for these @GBBUDD ? I don't think the brand name matters, if there's a cheaper product out there that functions just as well, I'd be the first one to recommend it! And in an application like this, I would also feel comfortable using milk crates or some other heavy duty plastic substitute.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are pics of aquablox and pump well I put down inside my pondless waterfall a few weeks ago.
level.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some would say genericly matrix blocks. I have used a good handful of both easy pro's version and aquascapes They both do the job the aquascape is buried under a foot of 2 to 3 inch rock followed by a foot of 3/4 river rock, in my bog. While I just used easy pro in the cistern" rain capture." They both work and they both had little issues. the overflow of plastic between the openings was excessive but they stood by the product and shipped out replacements. While easy pro had little drips of plastic from the injection ports that were sharp little points that could possibly puncture the liner. i took a cordless orbital sander to them that would be against the fabric and liner. took 10 seconds a side. But the savings was worth it.
All great ideas.
You can turn it into a pondless water feature. A false bottom with milk crates, Aquablocks etc. would be great. Then fill in with gravel on top of that.
Your pump would have to be in the bottom and send the water up to some kind of spitter or waterfall.
The pump needs to be accessible for maintenance or replacement. Don't just bury it under there. You could use a large diameter vertical perforated pipe and drop your pump in there. Tie a rope on the pump for easy retrieval. Large corregated drainage pipe will work or large pvc with holes drilled in it.
easy pro has a light duty "milk crate" version it would be fine for little fountains and such or where you know no cars equipment or anything heavy would ever get on them I have not read the spec sheet so take a look for your self.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could use a large diameter vertical perforated pipe and drop your pump in there. Tie a rope on the pump for easy retrieval. Large corregated drainage pipe will work or large pvc with holes drilled in it.
I used a 24 inch double walled plastic culvert pipe but I then notched it around the aqua blocks. leaving a 18 inch area and the remainder sat on the blocks and snorkelers up 18 inches. The other concern i had with the blocks regardless of which one was the pointed corners i cut fabric and rolled it up and zip tied it to the corner to keep the liner safe from puncturing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Matrix blocks is the word I was looking for! thanks!

And I have heard that people feel the AquaBlox are a bit more well made, but both work equally well once they are assembled. I got the job of assembling - the AquaBlox went together very nicely.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Matrix blocks is the word I was looking for! thanks!

And I have heard that people feel the AquaBlox are a bit more well made, but both work equally well once they are assembled. I got the job of assembling - the AquaBlox went together very nicely.
I would say the aquablox are a little stronger yes.

Ask a Question