Country
United States
Add some lilies, they will grow well.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
Being in Virginia, it looks like I don't have any restrictions for floating plants.

Will definitely look for and add some! Any specific type or place to purchase?

Reaction score
Any nursery that carries pond plants will have water lettuce or water hyacinth - the two most common. And a water lily would be beautiful too, and help with shading the water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Making progress! Found a good local shop and had our water tested (they said it was perfect), got 6 fish, four more bog plants (2 corkscrew rush, 2 violet stemmed taro), and three hyacinth.

The hyacinth are way cooler than I expected!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone. I have a new question. Now that it’s been below freezing the hyacinths day water lettuce are dying/dead. Should I remove them? Or leave them? Not sure what’s preferable!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Remove them, they will rot and stink up your pond. Makes good fertilzer for your garden plants. @sissy lives in Virginia and I think she may have tried once to winter them over inside her house one year or maybe it was someone else. Oh well.

Ad

Advertisements

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have over wintered them for almost 8 years now .Fresh water and a aerator and fertilizer and a fish tank is all I use . I did learn over the years to bring the young ones in and only bring 2 or 3 plants in because they will produce babies .But last year instead of just water I used the hydroponic clay balls and had better success .This year I am trying a stock tank outside full of them and seeing if they drop seeds like they did on my lily plants in my lily pond .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From looking at your original photo i would be willing to bet that the water was wicking over the edge of the pond . You do keep the water level very high toward the top of the containment. a single strand of dead anything can absorb water and it can add up. i have seen where my rubber is folded over upon it's self and the water has wicked up and over the lip of the pond. if you have three or four inches from the waters surface to the top of the containment you should have no issues.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can’t comment on pumps (mine come from Home Depot, so no idea how they compare), but want to throw this out there. If you do have fish, you WILL have algae and that is perfectly normal! There is really no need to fret about and try to remove it. It’s just a part of the pond’s ecosystem. Your plants are going to help with that. You don’t have to clean your pond (as in drain and scrub it down), and you don’t need to add chemicals (or even bacteria). After you’ve been at this a while, you’ll learn YOUR pond (no 2 ponds will ever be alike!), and you’ll find that you are much more “chill” about what used to seem so daunting!

Have fun! It’s a great hobby! Oh, and in case no one has told you yet......small ponds turn into bigger ponds, and bigger ponds, and bigger ponds....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I looked for the most energy efficient pumps .Electric rates will never go down and also looked for the longest warranty .I ended up with laguna pumps but now they make even better energy saving ones .Mine came with a 4 year warranty which has long expired

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Though water lettuce does not flower it is also very cool floating plant especially if you have lights underwater. they have such long roots they real are wild as the float by the lights

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question