Makeover Help - Clueless

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A dozen days later and it isn’t clean. I tried using panty hose (had some that I use for filtering other stuff) and it had no impact. I think I’ll just drain and refill at this point. :(

Oh don't do that! As others have already said, you're just starting all over if you go that route. Try to remember this isn't a swimming pool - it's a living, breathing organism and it will eventually balance itself. You did a lot of mucking around in there and added the pea gravel which was no doubt very dusty - it's impossible to clean. As time goes by, your plants will start to gather dirt from the water around their roots, so that will help. We've also noticed that the algae on the rocks will help "grab" on to the floating particles once it gets growing in the spring. Last week my pond was a bit murky. The weather warms up, algae gets active and BOOM! Clear pond.

Have you tried the quilt batting trick? Basically you pump water out of the pond and into a crate or basket that is filled with plain old quilt batting and let it flow through the batting and back into the pond. Depending on how the waterfall is constructed some people are able to put the basket or crate of quilt batting right under the waterfall and let it flow through. In either case, that will help filter out the fine particles. You do have to keep rinsing or replacing the batting but it's a tried and true pond hack!

Patience is your best friend right now. I know - it's hard. We've all been there. But chasing clear water will only make the process last longer.

brc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I'd try a UV filter if it doesn't clear soon - those are like kryptonite to green algae.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Even though it wasn’t recommended, I drained and refilled the pond. Being on well water and not having anything in there made me feel better about the decision.

I had painstakingly cleaned the pea rock so it was just from me tearing out the bog and rebuilding it that caused the problem. It’s now running clean without issues. I need to add a bit more rock to level off the bog, but structurally it looks good.

I also got a Laguna pump that operates at 660 gph. Admittedly a little smaller than I was hoping but the cost was significantly cheaper and I’ll upgrade to a larger pump and perhaps external filtering at another point.

I feel good about it now and want to add fish/stuff to it. The frogs have already started living in it. I’m in central VA, so it will freeze even with the pump, but it won’t freeze solid. If needed I could add a heater, but the previous fish (only gold fish) survived without issue.

What kind of aquatic life is recommended? I’d like to get some fish that would help clean it, not just ornamental. And since the pond isn’t huge, I’m not looking to get koi. I’d take function over beauty, so all of the fish don’t have to be “pretty”...

Thanks!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
PS: still clean 24-hours later!
7E213E18-9EEE-42F2-B476-6BB63E4D5A48.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Brace yourself for green water.

As for fish that help clean a pond - that's not really a thing. Plecos are the usual bottom feeders that everyone thinks of, but in a pond you'd need an army of them. People also will mention snails - again, bring on the legions and you might get somewhere.

Your goal should be to have a pond that keeps itself clean. Now let's define "clean" - if you're hoping that your pond is always going to look like it does in your picture, you will be sad. A healthy pond is covered with a nice layer of green furry algae. A garden pond is full of life - fish, plants, and lots and lots of things we cannot see. And all those tiny things depend on that layer of algae to sustain life. Plus it's part of your pond's eco-system - it's biological filtration.

No fish just yet - you need to give your pond time. Get some plants in there and let it run for a bit. And while you're waiting, read up on the nitrogen cycle.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Brace yourself for green water.

No fish just yet - you need to give your pond time. Get some plants in there and let it run for a bit. And while you're waiting, read up on the nitrogen cycle.

Yeah, I’m ok with it not looking like a fish aquarium . :)

I have several plants in the bog, are you saying I need more?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - especially in your case. Your bog is small relative to the size of your pond. It's going to be challenging based on the design of your pond (no plant shelves) but if you plan to rely on plants for filtration, then yes, you need more.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yup - especially in your case. Your bog is small relative to the size of your pond. It's going to be challenging based on the design of your pond (no plant shelves) but if you plan to rely on plants for filtration, then yes, you need more.

Ok...any specific recommendations? What would you do?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
An easy answer is floating plants, if they're still legal where you live. Others have made plant pockets out of screening material that they suspend over the sides so the roots of the plants are in the water. Or you could create a floating island of plants, with the roots directly in the water. You may be able to get some plants to anchor between your rocks and grow roots into the pond - it may be tricky to get them started, but once they are established they would stay in place. You could also add supplemental bog filtration if you're so inclined - many have used large plastic flower pots or planter boxes and plumbed them to function as bog filters.

20 inches is too deep for most marginals so you can't plant directly in the pond, and I think your pond is too small to put anything on the bottom to raise pots up to the preferred depth, but some people use milk crates or upside down flower pots for plant stands. Maybe a wire plant stand that would lift up a pot but still allow fish plenty of room to swim around and through it? Just tossing out lots of ideas here!

Your pond is perfect for a few goldfish, so you should be fine with just a few extra plants. Plus, the fish will appreciate the shade and hiding places that plants provide.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Floating plants are good, as suggested. Like any plant, they draw excess nutrients from the water which can help starve the algae. They also provide shade, starving the algae of sunlight.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Add some lilies, they will grow well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Being in Virginia, it looks like I don't have any restrictions for floating plants.

Will definitely look for and add some! Any specific type or place to purchase?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Any nursery that carries pond plants will have water lettuce or water hyacinth - the two most common. And a water lily would be beautiful too, and help with shading the water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Making progress! Found a good local shop and had our water tested (they said it was perfect), got 6 fish, four more bog plants (2 corkscrew rush, 2 violet stemmed taro), and three hyacinth.

The hyacinth are way cooler than I expected!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone. I have a new question. Now that it’s been below freezing the hyacinths day water lettuce are dying/dead. Should I remove them? Or leave them? Not sure what’s preferable!

Ask a Question