Can anyone help with what this is? It appeared while I was out today ....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Looks like a clutch of eggs to me. Snails perhaps?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You mean this wasn't there before you left and you came back and it was there? Too fast for anything I can think of that it could be. Unicorn poop? o_O :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
may be its the rare and elusive rocking horse sh!te

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I agree with Sparky, it appears to be snail eggs. Do you have large trap door or mystery snails?
If you just dampen them once or twice a day they may hatch for you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I agree with Sparky, it appears to be snail eggs. Do you have large trap door or mystery snails?
If you just dampen them once or twice a day they may hatch for you.
I was going to say mysteries as I’m currently breeding them and yep, look like that.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You mean this wasn't there before you left and you came back and it was there? Too fast for anything I can think of that it could be. Unicorn poop? o_O :D

Haha I wish ... yes appeared within 12 hours !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was going to say mysteries as I’m currently breeding them and yep, look like that.

I don’t intentionally have them - sorry for my ignorance I’m a bit a a beginner, would this be a good thing and should I leave them in place ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
If you were to have a snail issue, mysteries would be the one to have. Harmless, fun to watch and easily controllable. However they are tropical and I don’t see what zone you’re in but last I checked, the UK isn’t that warm. Who knows, stranger things have happened. I had some guppies “migrate” into my pond last year. Water temps easily hit 55 degrees F in there last fall and they’re fine. They will only lay viable eggs above the surface so you can just pluck them off and toss them. I actually have a 10 gallon where I incubate them but I LOVE mystery snails. I’m not sure what pond snails clutches look like but could be those too. Luckily those are not Ramshorns. That could be an issue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks everyone for your responses ..... turned out to be a wasps nest - as my other half found out when he got 5 stings for going to investigate at closer quarters !!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks everyone for your responses ..... turned out to be a wasps nest - as my other half found out when he got 5 stings for going to investigate at closer quarters !!!
Oh no! I was afraid of that, but then someone mentioned it was too close to the water. Which I thought made sense. You never know...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So sorry your other half suffered the stings ... they are never a good thing.
It is unusual for them to establish a nest so close to the water. Most of the time they're in low tree branches. I suppose if there is a silver lining it's the fact you caught them early and before the colony grew large. They would have been hard to get rid of not being able to use a poison of some sort because of the pond.
Sorry....

Ask a Question