making pond bigger

Reaction score
im currently looking at making my pond deeper , i intend to remove fish and store them in old baths, once i have finished making pond deeper and fitted new liner , is the there any think i should add to the fresh water ie any type of solution or chemicals etc , and i long should i wait before i return fish back to pond , any help would be appericated

Reaction score
I think using the old water, making sure you have good circulation and maybe adding a bit of slime coat additive would be good. The fish will be stressed (anytime the environment changes). How long is it going to take to increase the size of your pond? Are you going to increase the capacity of your bio filters? How are you going to feed the bacteria in your bio filter if you have one? Also, if your increasing the size of your pond....are you adding a larger bottom drain (if having one).

Sounds like a fun project!!!

Cheers and Good luck,

Tom

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I'd take pond water to fill your temporary tubs, the fish will all ready be acclimatised to that water. When the pond is done and refilled, just use a normal chlorine remover and ammonia lock. After the new pond water has aged a day, take a couple gallons out of the tub and pour it into the pond, then top off the tub with pond water. Let this sit for about 15 minutes and repeat, keep this up until you've changed all the water; then transfer the fish back to the pond. Keep your filter running in the temp tub for aeration and to keep the biofilter alive, it'll cycle up on the new pond much faster that way.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'd take pond water to fill your temporary tubs, the fish will all ready be acclimatised to that water. When the pond is done and refilled, just use a normal chlorine remover and ammonia lock. After the new pond water has aged a day, take a couple gallons out of the tub and pour it into the pond, then top off the tub with pond water. Let this sit for about 15 minutes and repeat, keep this up until you've changed all the water; then transfer the fish back to the pond. Keep your filter running in the temp tub for aeration and to keep the biofilter alive, it'll cycle up on the new pond much faster that way.
@budgenator This post is from 2007. I doubt they're still around.

Ask a Question