Repairing pond leak

Reaction score
I've discovered a leak in my pond liner. A root has poked a hole very close to the bottom of the pond (maybe 4" above the very bottom). The epdm liner is only 5 years old.

Is there a way to patch the hole without draining the pond? I'd hate to have to remove all the fish a build a temp location for the fish during the repair.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Gee, I don’t know a lot about repair jobs, but not sure about doing it on a pond filled with fish and water. Most people do have to empty and temporarily house their fish — it’s just part of the process, and when I’ve done it (temp. pond set up), besides the inconvenience, the fish did well.

How big is your pond and how many fish do you have? And how big is the hole? Is your liner 45 mil EPDM? That’s usually a pretty hardy material.

Hopefully, someone else can give you some encouraging words.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
must be a strong root or there was a tiny pinhole in the liner that the root made bigger .There are some repair kits that claim the fix leaks underwater but not sure how long they last .The reason being the area need cleaned of all muck to make the repair work .I have replaced 3 liners since 2014 do to dogs and a mole problem

Reaction score
I can't figure out how that root penetrated the 45 mil epdm. It's sticking through like a pencil. it's about a 1500 gallon pond and I've lost count of how many fish -easily 30 or more.

Is patching a viable option? Seems like most of the patching product reviews aren't so good.

I'd hate to have to replace the liner so soon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think you could patch it - I'd aim for a big piece of patch, or maybe one small patch over the actual hole and then another larger patch over the whole thing. It's worth a try, right, to save the liner?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think you could patch it - I'd aim for a big piece of patch, or maybe one small patch over the actual hole and then another larger patch over the whole thing. It's worth a try, right, to save the liner?
But without emptying it of fish and water? I think that’s what the OP is wanting to do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
But without emptying it of fish and water? I think that’s what the OP is wanting to do.

Oh - missed that part! Uh... no. I can't imagine how that would work! Especially since it's near the bottom of the pond.

Reaction score
I'm going to have to build a temp holding tank. Does anyone know how many gallons I'll need for 20 to e0 Shubunkins.
Should only need to keep them in it for a few hours

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm going to have to build a temp holding tank. Does anyone know how many gallons I'll need for 20 to e0 Shubunkins.
Should only need to keep them in it for a few hours
Be sure you’re not under estimating the amount of time (and effort) that it’s going to take to repair the hole! The area has to be cleaned [and usually scuffed] and dried before a patch can go on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Be sure you’re not under estimating the amount of time (and effort) that it’s going to take to repair the hole! The area has to be cleaned [and usually scuffed] and dried before a patch can go on.
A child's pool plastic little kiddie pool should do the trick make sure to drop in an air stone. and they could survive in there for a week if you had to. if you think your load is to much use two pools. if you want more like 400 gallons tractor supply sells one fore I believe 2 or 3 hundred bucks

Ask a Question