material to make waterfall box

Reaction score
Gave up. Found this pretty ceramic jug at Goodwill and drilled a hole in the bottom (and omg what a pita *that* was!). I put the tubing in the hole, cut some carbon filter media stuff to fit in the center of the jug, put some ceramic filter thingys I had around underneath and then some lava rock on top. The water flows over the ceramic, through the carbon stuff and over lava rocks. I think its pretty.

I also put some poly batting over the intake on the pump. I hope this helps keep everyone happy and healthy.

jug%20filter%20falls_zpsqnsmcnsl.jpg

Please ignore how the rest of the area looks, its still a work in progress

Reaction score
You need a masonry drill bit and its not like drilling wood. Seriously, it was slow and took me 15 minutes to slowly get through because I was afraid if I put too much pressure I would break it.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thank you! I've seen the gorgeous pots people use and love the idea but wasn't sure how to drill through a pot. Now I have to find a pitcher like that. It is simply wonderful.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My other husband was a machinist, for drilling things like that spray the drill bit with water or drip water on it as you drill, keeps it cool and it bites in better.

Reaction score
My other husband was a machinist, for drilling things like that spray the drill bit with water or drip water on it as you drill, keeps it cool and it bites in better.

Yeah I dripped, but it was still hard! I thought it would drill through like wood but it was slow going and I had to be careful. I also bought a 1/2" bit thinking it would make a 1/2" hole (as my tubing was 1/2") and it wasn't big enough so I had to carefully widen the hole.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks great so you did good! Those masonry bits are not cheap either.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
See what you made me do Rushdoggie.. Lol I went to Lowes and bought a pot intending to do the same thing and ended up with the pot in the water. I couldn't find a pitcher style that I liked. Thanks for inspiring me to add a new water feature!
new water feature 1.JPG

Ask a Question