Best material for increasing height of covered side wall

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
As I have discussed in the past my pond has low areas around the ponds top. Recently, I discovered a small section that is the worst area that allows unwanted overflow. I may have asked similar questions before so please excuse forgetfulness.

Question. What is the best, most stable material to place under miscellaneous low areas under the liner with pad in order to increase the side wall height? Note that the liner and pad cannot be pulled up in all areas. The filler must be pushed into place. The general height increase is in inches.

Thanks.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wonder if you could use either bagged sand. I know that there is some concern with sand shifting but I wonder if you could use like bean bags or something a bit larger to build up a low section.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can you use concrete block or patio block to lift the liner and then just cover the whole thing with you prettier rock .You can break them to the size you need by scoring them with the end of the hammer and then just tap along the the score line until it breaks .Or buy bags of cement for the bigger area's .I used the fast setting cement in the sand bags they sell to keep flood water out .I filled the bags and shaped them into the spot I wanted them to stay and left weather harden them but you can wet them to help them get hard faster .The bags i bought were at lowes and were made of some kind of rot proof fabric it said .They were kinda a long but you can cut them to length .I cut mine and then used my sewing machine to sew the piece I cut off to make another bag .You can fill them to full because they will not shape as easy .

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was thinking of the bean bags that people here use for corn hole. You could make them whatever size you wanted and that way have the sand contained but still be able to maneuver them in place. I was thinking of a smaller version of the sand bag.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have shoved roundish rocks under some areas that were low in my small plant pond w/liner. Then I just shoved dirt up around them and added more rocks on top and around the edge to hide what showed of the liner.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used the sand bag concrete idea around my waterfall because I did not find concrete block that had a round shape and now wish i had taken pics of it .you could buy burlap and make bags because when they rot the cement would be hard anyways .It just so happened I saw the bags laying there and picked them up they were less than 3 dollars for 4 if I remember correctly and they were 24 inch's long .Guy did tell me the come in other sizes but that is what they had .He even asked why I was buying them and cement as they fill them with sand not cement .OH WELL :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No I put them around the liner i have around my stock tank filter .If it ever overflows the water goes right back into my pond and extra measure of safety .

Attachments

• pond march 15th 2014 011.JPG
    pond march 15th 2014 011.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 290
  • pond march 15th 2014 019.JPG
    pond march 15th 2014 019.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 247

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
http://www.newpig.com/pig/US/spill-...erms-2357/pig-build-a-berm-barrier-2358/0/250
Hey I just found these, kinda expensive at first glance but they might work as a barrier to the back fill with sand I didn't know what type of berm you wanted and just thought I'd share. You might be able to build something similiar out of some metal plate and a small lip of concrete, again so you could back fill with sand or gravel or dirt.
Throw me an update when you decide as I might need to burm up a low lying area depending on wear.

Reaction score
Didn't take time to read all posts so sorry if I'm a re-peat. I used 3" bricks covered in carpet to soften corners, you could use carpet padding but carpet will last forever and not wear away anytime in the next 15 years!!! I was able to get under the liner also.

Reaction score
Didn't take time to read all posts so sorry if I'm a re-peat. I used 3" bricks covered in carpet to soften corners, you could use carpet padding but carpet will last forever and not wear away anytime in the next 15 years!!! I was able to get under the liner also.

I also have heavy clay in my ground to that secured the bricks in the backfill.

Ask a Question