Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
https://www.facebook.com/growmilkweedplants

I don't know if it was someone on here who recommended this Face Book page....... But thought I would pass it on (again). They had some pictures on there today, and it made me think of the posts we'v'e all shared over the recent months.

There is also a web site that I subscribed to, and I get an email or so a week with interesting articles about.....well darn, is it a "milkweed" site, or a "monarch" site???? Or does it really matter...... they do run together, don't they? Kinda late in the season, but I'll grab that address with the next email I receive and pass that along, as well. It's never too late to start planning......or planting......or both.

And @CountryEscape, thank you for making seeds available for our members!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

Small world, because that's @Brad Grimm 's page.

Speaking of milkweed, I just had another orange milkweed begin blooming today. I was surprised when I walked out and saw it. It's a first year plant, so you never know if they will or wont. Also, my largest Swamp Milkweed is about a foot and a half tall now. It had a growth spurt in the last month. I expect it to bloom next year and I'm looking forward to it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Small world, because that's @Brad Grimm 's page.

Speaking of milkweed, I just had another orange milkweed begin blooming today. I was surprised when I walked out and saw it. It's a first year plant, so you never know if they will or wont. Also, my largest Swamp Milkweed is about a foot and a half tall now. It had a growth spurt in the last month. I expect it to bloom next year and I'm looking forward to it.
Well, YOU may have been the one who recommended the FB page :)

All of my plants are super tall -- can't say for sure because they've all bent over and still growing, but maybe 5' or so for the tallest one. No sign of flowers, though.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
All of my plants are super tall -- can't say for sure because they've all bent over and still growing, but maybe 5' or so for the tallest one. No sign of flowers, though.

Well... maybe next year. Many of the ones I see in the wild are usually around 4'-5' when they flower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I am happy to share swamp and/or common milkweed seeds with anyone that is interested. I think the common seeds need to be cold treated, and can be placed this fall where you want the plants to grow next year. Just be sure to mark where you put them. The first year my guess is they will probably not bloom, but will be working on roots more than flowers. That's a good thing! They have VERY deep roots and are pretty hard to transplant unless you know to go really deep. Transplanting small new plants is much easier, but pretty sure trying to move a mature 5-6' tall plant would be near impossible unless you had the means to move lots of dirt with it.
I know the swamp milkweed reseeds itself VERY easily, as I have them coming up everywhere. I purposely removed seeds pods before they were mature (tossed those) and then the ripe seed pods and kept them for anyone that is interested. I'm still waiting for my common milkweed seed pods to ripen. I'm glad the plants are still growing, and new ones coming up, too, because I brought in 11 more eggs on Sat. and Sun. (and I counted another 18 out there tonight, but am going to leave them for now, maybe see if the local school would like them to raise!). Going to need the leaves to feed the 11 I have inside.

Ask a Question